substitute to live Bait

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

substitute to live Bait

Post by FowlDawg »

I've always been pretty old fashion when it come to bait for ice fishing. Good old live minnow on the tip-up, I've had decent luck that way. I find that live bait is a lot of trouble though. for example this morning i went ice fishing but being Christmas there was no way could buy minnows, I got skunked again without live bait. I spent the whole morning freezing my butt off questioning my meps spinners and thinking there had to be a better way. if anyone could give me a couple pointers it would be much appreciated. I usually fish with still lines (tip-up) for walleye, pike, pan fish, trout... pretty much any that will bite im not very picky. So if anyone has any tips on what i can use to substitute live bait, how to use it, and when to use it you could make a fellow fishhawker very happy by slipping a couple secrets my way :D

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep bush, and music in its silence:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron
Eli
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Eli »

Gulp Alive on a leadhead jig. Add buckshot rattle chamber better results.
Jig near bottom and you should catch.

Image + Image
Lonnie
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Lonnie »

There has been a number of previous threads debating Gulp Alive and Live Bait - might be worth reviewing those. Trigger-X also has a line of Water-based plastics coming out soon - I`ve tried them and they are also awesome live bait substitutes.
cheers,
LK
The Nipigon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by The Nipigon »

Simple solution...dead bait...take your left over minnows and package them up in sandwich zip locks...say six to a bag and freeze them. You can roll them in wax paper and they won't stick to each other. Now you have a back up plan when live bait is not available when you get the urge to go fishing. Oh ya, just as effective on a jig head or swedish pimple. Food for thought...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, fishing rod in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!."
FowlDawg
Participant
Participant

Post by FowlDawg »

Thanks for the tips guys, I was out yesterday and used some Gulp managed to set the hook in nice brookie and missed a few. any other tips would be great also.
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
There is society, where none intrudes;
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more
- Lord Byron
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Chevy Champagne »

you can also try to jig with any rapala jigs http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/floattub ... silver.jpg
or any jig simmilar to that thats how i got my eye last night
or any little flyer spoons http://images.ebsco.com/lindytackle/rat ... nfj038.jpg
you dont need any bait for thouse lures
good luck