Sonar Ticking

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Sonar Ticking

Post by Eagle »

Greetings,

Sorry, I think this is really an old thread, but I cannot find it, so.......

Out in the new boat yesterday with my son. Had him up front which of course put me in the back. Noticed that the transducer would have a clicking sound. Not all the time and not a consistant volume. Cannot remember if this is normal or I am having a problem. Would like to know since we are heading North in HOURS (actually a couple of days, but saying it in hours sounds better :wink: )

Thanks for the reply and again, sorry for the redundancy.

Eagle
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey eagle

The ticking is normal It's how the fish Finder works :D
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Not to sound too stupid but it's something you usually never hear out in the boat as it's underwater. I was sat in my boat in the garage one night and i switched my sonar on and heard the same ticking.. took me a few moments before i realised what it was... :lol:

I partially installed a new finder on my trolling motor last night and tonight i'll finish off. I picked upa nice new Bottomline Tournament 480 Max. I was going to go for the eagle 480 but i didn't like the transducer that came with it and i wasn't going to spend another $60us for a new transducer.. it's exspensive enough as it is :roll: I know one thing though this unit comes with me whenever i sell the boat :lol: :lol:

Thanks to trophymuskie for the tips for running the transducer cable... it's a little lose to allow for movement but seems to work out fine :D
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Post by Eagle »

We thought it was the "ping" , but I am not sure why it would not be a constant volume. I assume that water depth and perhaps type of lake bottom has something to do with it.

Thanks again.

36 hours and about 40 minutes, but who's counting :lol:

Eagle
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

Just for reference I was talking one day with Lowrance about a problem I was having with my GPS module. While we were working on it, he had me unplug the transducer. He told me that the unit would be putting out full power to the transducer and since it’s not getting any feed back this would weaken the element in it. He told me only to have the transducer on in the water. Now my unit is 3000 watts however I am sure it’s the same with them all.

I wonder if the fish can hear the ping?
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

My new unit puts out 3200 Watts Peak to Peak Power. I think most people think transducers are indistructable but from what i hear they are fairly delicate and shouldn't be dropped..

Eagle perhaps if this is a portable unit it's been knocked and could play up... Do you notice any noise or misreads on the unit when it's running in the water.
Eagle
Participant
Participant

Post by Eagle »

John,

No this is mount in/on the boat. I turned off the GPS and noticed it when we where in shallow water. Got to deeper water and it was not noticed as much. Going across the water with the engine, of course could not hear it and it seemed to be reading just fine.

From the posts, I think it is just that it is a new boat and it was my first time in the back.

Thanks to all who replied.

Eagle
Mac
Participant
Participant

Post by Mac »

I have an upper end Lowrance on the console sonar/gps and an eagle on the bow they both have the "clicking" due to the sound waves been transmitted through the water. Also the more watts the louder they can be!