Topwater Mouse Lure

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Topwater Mouse Lure

Post by biggs »

I was hoping to get some help with a mouse lure.........I was watching an episode of Fishin' Canada yesterday and Reno was using a mouse lure that looked really good and I was hoping someone can help me find something similar.
Basically it was a very realistic looking mouse with fur (he was using white) and I believe it had two treble hooks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

While it might catch an agressive bass or two, I would recommend sticking to lures that mimic actual food sources for your target species.

It's not my intent to be condescending here, but cmon... I have never seen a white mouse swimming in a lake... :D
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

While it might catch an agressive bass or two, I would recommend sticking to lures that mimic actual food sources for your target species.

It's not my intent to be condescending here, but cmon... I have never seen a white mouse swimming in a lake...
Just looking for an aggressive bass or two! and I am pretty sure a mouse could be a actual food source, probably not white but I was just saying the colour he was using. Thanks.....I think???
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

I think the lure you are looking for is called a Heddon Meadow Mouse. I have one and it is awsome for pike. I've never thrown it for bass before but now I'm thinking I should. I haven't seen them for sale anywhere in a while but you might find some on Ebay.
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Out4trout wrote:I have never seen a white mouse swimming in a lake... :D
Maybe they've been eaten up by an aggressive bass or two. :roll: :P :wink:
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Oh ye of little faith...

I showed up for a fishing trip with a dream and an electric pink florescent moss mouse. My buddies needed Depends to sop up the pee leaking out of them from laughing so hard at me with this pink mouse.

I fished with it all day on principal... and it has become on of my mid summer "Go To" bass baits. I out fished those laughing pee soaked SOBs that day to the point where they were asking me where I got it... and how do I use it...

I caught my PB bass on it too... mind you the mouse was black... last summer at MacBay... 4lbs 15ozs.

There are solid rubber ones that I catch pike after pike on... the hollow ones I seem to catch mostly bass.

Throw it as close to shore as you can... and pretend it is a puppet and you are making it look like a timid mouse lost in the lily pads... its a blast!! Get the adrenalin going... and sometimes... when you get a big pike on blasting out of the water at it.... you are the one who might need the Depends!

I would love to try one that is furry!!! (Sounds like that dream again...)

Craig
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

I've always used the bass pro shop floating mouse ! Thats the only one i've ever owned ! It works ok !

Bass Pro Shops® XPS® Lazer Eye™ Floating Mouse
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Dore819 wrote:I've always used the bass pro shop floating mouse ! Thats the only one i've ever owned ! It works ok !

Bass Pro Shops® XPS® Lazer Eye™ Floating Mouse
I love how far you can throw them!!!

I use SPro, Moss Mouse, Boss Rat... I have made some that have lasted longer, but they fill up with water and start to sink too much! I have to squeeze them after each cast! The SPro is a little expensive, but worth it.

Craig
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

Awesome, thanks for all the suggestions guys!
ELLIS
Participant
Participant

Post by ELLIS »

G'day biggs,

I saw that Fishin' Canada episode months ago and contacted them The realistic mouse was fur covered and had large ears that disturbed the water when reeling in. I was told that it is a prototype and I would be notified when it went into production and sale.

Cheers,

Bill
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

ELLIS wrote:G'day biggs,

I saw that Fishin' Canada episode months ago and contacted them The realistic mouse was fur covered and had large ears that disturbed the water when reeling in. I was told that it is a prototype and I would be notified when it went into production and sale.

Cheers,

Bill
Keeps us all informed Ellis!

Craig
Bondo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bondo »

As posted above, the Heddon Meadow Mouse is the one I use. Although I haven't used it in years. It was great for muskie.
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

G'day biggs,

Cheers,

Bill
Really?? I was going to email them tonight, maybe I still will. It looked like a good lure and now I want to try it more than ever!

Let us know when you know! :D

Thanks
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

It might have been this, but this is very similar. Although I don't remember it having a lip.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpage ... tml#pImage
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

What I was talking about; top water mouse, was something that you can throw into a deep and thick matt... pads, cat tails... you could throw it into a forest and not get snagged.

The fact that the hooks come up over the top of the bait is what keeps it snag proof. It does make hook ups a little harder until you get the hang of it.

The one that you showed would not be suitable to throw into any sort of cover with two trebles hanging from it...

Craig