ATV's and Bellyboats

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Abraxus
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Abraxus »

TroutnMuskieHunter wrote:Why are ATV's being singled out as the "destructive" ones???.....I fish many back trout lakes using my ATV to get there only to find HUGE DEEP WIDE RUTS and damage to the trails due to 4x4 trucks with lift kits and oversized mudder tires tearing up the trails.....

Steely1....I will send you a pm later tonight or tomorrow regarding ATV'ing into some back lakes :wink:
I have to agree with TMH fully here. I have an ATV and in the locations I usually go with it, the most significant damage I have seen has certainly been caused by huge, jacked up 4X4 truck owning nuts! The holes that these guys create would simply eat and sink my bike! Not to mention the damage they do to trees when hooking on their winches to get free from the holes they themselves cause and later get stuck in. From what I have noticed, most of the negative press associtated with ATV's generally come by way of Snowmobilers that even in summer time, will not rest on the banter. There are as many responsible ATV owners as their are responsible snowmobilers and like wise the same can be said in regards tothe numbers of irresponsible owners of each. I think if you actually crunch the numbers, you will find that there are far more snowmobilers that die every year on sleds due stupidity then on an ATV! Even with the bigger bikes (and I have one, a 700cc) an ATV can never obtain the kind of rediculous speeds that the sleds of today can achieve. There is and never will be a need for sled to hit speeds in excess of 100kmh. Having said this, I like and enjoy riding each. It just annoys me when ATV riders are all lumped into the same group. I would imagine that most responsible sled owners would feel the same.

Ab
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

I wish i owned an ATV. They are pretty cool.
Mike M
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mike M »

This discussion sounds vaguely familiar...but can't remember where I've heard something similar...Oh well, I blame the torn up trails on the bass boats.
Steely1
Participant
Participant

Post by Steely1 »

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess the ATV issue has many sides to it and I respect all the opinions. Really looking forward to discovering and exploring this year and I promise not to wreck any trails LOL
Somewhere out there is some small lake with a nice 3 to 5 pound specky in it with my name on it.

Pretty sure the next purchase is going to have to be a tube float, it just seems to make sense.
getnjiggywithit
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by getnjiggywithit »

When it comes to trout fishing and ATV's there's really two types of fishermen! The ones with ATV's that can fish any lake they want :wink: or the ones without that can't fish the lakes they want to! :wink:
A float tube is a huge asset and will help you catch more fish!
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Tip-up »

Mike M wrote:This discussion sounds vaguely familiar...but can't remember where I've heard something similar...Oh well, I blame the torn up trails on the bass boats.
That made my morning :lol: :lol:

Getnjiggywithit, April 23rd will be here in no time 8) :D
Geos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Geos »

Last edited by Geos on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

[quote="Geos"]No one is recomending the frog boat?quote]

At almost 2 1/2 meters in length, you'd need some form of trailer for your ATV to tow it. Anything that requires towing simply makes backcountry travel that much more difficult.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."