Hummingbird gps question

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Hummingbird gps question

Post by Seabass81 »

Well I should have the 788ci any day now . Will the gps show me the line dividing the us from canada on the st-lawrence ? Or do I need a chip for this.

If I where to get a map chip which one is recomended for ottawa and the valley?

John
Geos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Geos »

Last edited by Geos on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

Works exactly as you'd expect right out of the box. No issues. The map detail is not great, but IMO, wait, try it see if it works, then see if you want the chips... the extra map data is awesome...
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Get the Chip......if not it's like owning a nice HD flatscreen and being too cheap to pay for HD.... :lol:
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Is this model a good option for a hand held GPS? I'm looking for a good "cost effective" one...
Hookup
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hookup »

If your looking for a hand-held GPS with a sonar, this model isn't bad, other than having to drag arround the 12v battery which would get old.

Just joking... but seriously you probably should have looked up the model on the humminbird site... ;)

I highly recommend the Oregon from Garmin. It's by far the best GPS i've used for hunting/trekk'n/motorcycle... I also use it for driving. I did get the one with the Topo-Map's built in, but you can buy the maps later if you want. The base-maps for navigation around Ottawa are pretty amazing! Some brand-new streets, currently under construction around my house are on the basemaps! And not major ones either, minor suburbia streets.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Seabass: I will have the gold maps at Carp this weekend. It has all the navigable waters in Ontario, plus a bunch more in other provinces. What it doesn't have is the inland waters ie Mississippi or Charleston which are found on the Hotmaps. I should have those in soon, but not in time for the Carp show.

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken