PIKE LAKE

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

ganman wrote:
Here's my take on pike fishing in eastern Ontario...think big water.
Although that is a take on things most can totally agree upon, as do I almost, I tend to prefer the ease of a smaller lake. Pike Lake, for sure, is pike hurting, but there are a few decent little lakes in just that area alone, that I try to get back to every August to fish pike and bass. And, good numbers of smaller fun fish can often be the result of getting off the bigger water.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Pike in August? Why? Those little pike are a nuisance when bass fishing. Sorry but I don't relish losing a $8 lure to a hammerhandle, a wire leader for bass? nope, nor do I enjoy removing multiple treble hooks from one. But these are my opinions not yours.
Erikatchandrelease
Participant
Participant

Post by Erikatchandrelease »

Ganman thanks for the advice. Yeah I don't really target pike specifically when I go to Pike Lake. I usually catch 'em by mistake when walleye or bass fishing there.

In my own neck of the woods I hit up Sodus Bay, Conesus Lake, or Irondequoit Bay for pike early in the season in May. By June/July all three spots are overrun w/recreational boaters, jet skiers, etc.

I agree with you that Pike Lake is due for a break. Many of the bigger bass I landed wore scars from being previously caught.