well i'm thinking about trying to get sponsored

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

well i'm thinking about trying to get sponsored

Post by Chevy Champagne »

i think that i am becoming more successful in this whole fishing thing and i'm still pretty young so there is a lot of room for me to learn more so i am thinking about possibly getting my first sponsorship with a rod/reel company, lure company,ect..
my question to you is how can i get my name out there to these companies
i know that i should start fishing more bigger tournaments like the sebos
but what else should i do
thanks a lot in advanced guys
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Lets just pretend I'm a local lure manufacturer....not really big by any means but in the business.

Why should I sponsor you Walleye Man?
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

Finish tourneys you enter...................
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

DropShot'r wrote:Finish tourneys you enter...................
LOL...too funny! :lol:

Getting sponsored has nothing to do with being a good angler and everything to do with reprensenting the company in a positive way.
Fishing 24/7
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Fishing 24/7 »

i second that jwhite.

your not ''professional''

your a ''promoter''

this product is good because.

BANG this fish likes it.

BOOM this guy was a 15 bass a day guy now hes a 30 bass a day guy beacause of this ''x '' product!

skillz have some part.

but not all.

just look around this site.

some of the best anglers around man.

1/20 have a sponser ......

a seriouse one i mean! :D

also you need exposure.

reports on this site is not exposure.

can you fish every week-end?

dont get me wrong man.

i think your a ASWESOME angler.

all the best for you buddy.

ill sponser.....

first step.

get the tattoo.

24/7 RULES on your 4 head! :D EXPOSURE!
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

slop wrote:Lets just pretend I'm a local lure manufacturer....not really big by any means but in the business.

Why should I sponsor you Walleye Man?
you should sponcer me bacause i am still young and can easily grow in the buisness. i can also represent your lures in a great way showing them to many other anglers and give one or two out for them to try. there for getting others to buy the baits and lures
and also....
I CAN CATCH BIG FISH

i hope that can do the trick :D :lol:
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Send Big Jim a pm asking for point in the right direction, never heard him give bad advise yet, and is always willing to help.
jwhite
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jwhite »

Fishing 24/7 wrote:reports on this site is not exposure.
Have you thought of starting a blog or website? Something that talks about your experiences. Maybe start by giving good honest reviews of the products you use and post them on your blog/site. Maybe steal some ideas from RJ. :wink:

If I owned a company or worked in marketing I would look to sponsor someone who is willing to reach out to people. Give honest opinions of my product and be willing to give a little of their time to promote said product. Just some ideas....I'm sure more will come along.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

I had a Company offer to sponsor me once ...not a fishing company though.....A Tow truck Company... :oops:

:wink: 8) 8)
Chevy Champagne
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

jwhite wrote:
Fishing 24/7 wrote:reports on this site is not exposure.
Have you thought of starting a blog or website? Something that talks about your experiences. Maybe start by giving good honest reviews of the products you use and post them on your blog/site. Maybe steal some ideas from RJ. :wink:

If I owned a company or worked in marketing I would look to sponsor someone who is willing to reach out to people. Give honest opinions of my product and be willing to give a little of their time to promote said product. Just some ideas....I'm sure more will come along.
im working on makeing one now
its not gonna be nearly as good as rj's but its worth a go
fishin mission
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fishin mission »

don't let slop sponsor you... next thing he will want you to cheer for the Habs :lol: :lol: :lol:
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

jwhite wrote: Maybe steal some ideas from RJ. :wink:
Hey Hey Hey!...Easy now... :lol:

One thing I'll disagree 100% on with 24/7 is that posting reports on here isn't exposure. Hundreds of people a day visit this site! I'll bet walleyeman is 100 times more recognizable than a fella who fishes 5 tournaments a year.....no matter which series he fishes.

WM, You seem like a great kid with your head on straight (though your hat always isn't :lol:) keep doing what you do...maybe get a job at a tackle shop and get to know a few people...who knows where it'll lead for ya.

Good Luck dude!

RJ
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

ONE thing, dont try to go to high to fast.

some homework to do. there.

be a nice man..be a good pr man.

you can be the best fisherman..but one hell off a bad guy to be promoting a product. as an exp.

almost everyone you see.i meen big names..some are ok fisherman but some off them are just good talker and ok fishermans.but some are very good fishermans to...some had to win a lot off derby to get where they are today.

and it depend ho you no......CONEXTION goes a longgggggggg way.

i am talking if you want to go for big sponsor..not a rod or a no name lures.

and think about it...after you get sponsor by one company you have to stick wit it...those have contract even if that product is crap.

and wen you are sponsor you loose some liberty off some sort

be carefull what you want.

look around ,take your time and do your nomework.

start slowly.

mabe get deals on product then go up frome there...you could be a pro staff for some store or lures etc..good start.

joco....if its your dream..just go for it.

man look at me...i have been trying to get sponsor by

WEBSTER DICTIONARY french/english...nope ,cant get it to past. :lol:
petawawarace
Participant
Participant

Post by petawawarace »

One thing to keep in mind is that sponsorships are not free!!!! The idea of getting free rods/reels ect. is great, and you may not pay any $$$$ directly for them, but you still have to work for them. While I've never been sponsored for fishing, I have had dozens of sponsors while I was racing (both free product and monetary). The best way to "get" sponsored is to create a sponsorship package.

A company is only going to sponsor you because they want something in return. (ie exposure) You have to tell them what you are going to do. What tourny's your going to fish, what shows you will attend on behalf of them, or with them, what media coverage you will be likely to get, what demographics you are expected to reach, and in what volume.

When I was racing, I would update a website every monday morning, attend 5-6 trade shows a year, send out thank-you packages every year.

There is alot of reading to be done online that can help you get started. Here are some tips to start you off with a good package.

Include:
Demographics (age groups, sex, ethninticity, income ranges, locals ect.)
A scheduale of events.
Let them know what you want (a dollar value of products) and what they will get in return.
Don't use the word sponsorship... say "Marketing Partnership" instead

If you want, I can send you a copy of one of my "Marketing Packages" for you to take a look at.

Start small, and get a few local sponsors, and they will help build your reputation. Then go online and search sites for sponsorship subbmissions ect.

Beware of the "product discount" gimmic too. Company's will offer a discount to you for their products at a less than retail price. While this may be good, if you weren't going to be buying the product if they didn't sponsor you, they just suckered you in. And trust me, they are still making money on the "discount price"

Hope this helps. Sorry if I've been long winded, but I have had lots of experience with this, and wanted to give some insight.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

OK...that is pretty much what I expected to read. I can tell you from having sponsorship experience that you have to be alot more creative in your approach.

Are you looking for product placement or financial benefit or both?

Do you have a marketing background/education?

Do you have any marketing skills that are unique?

Are you able and willing to travel?

Are you willing to volunteer your free time at different times of the year for promotoinal events/tradeshows.

What do you know about the industry in general? What do you know about my competetors.

Do you demonstrate effective communication skills. Can you address an audience or group of people with confidence to effectively promote my product.

These are just some very basic things that people will ask and I'm sure that things have changed alot since my days of representing products.

I remember hiring a guy when I worked in fishing retail that never held a fishing rod but his attitude, enthusiasm and ability to speak to customers was a sight to behold. I basically gave this kid an oppertunity based on his ability to light up a room and be able to sell ice to an eskimo. All the other aspects of the job just fell into place.

Do yourself a favour and put a gameplan in place before you go knocking on doors.....most of all have fun if you do get some bites and be sure to keep us posted.
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....