Anyone launched from the Appleton launch recently?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
solar
Participant
Participant

Anyone launched from the Appleton launch recently?

Post by solar »

Any of you lads put in from the launch in Appleton just below the dam? I was wondering how good the water levels were there for launching these days. I've kayaked there in past years, but never launched a boat there.

Thanks,

Chris
smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Post by smokercraft »

Launched there yesterday... Water is very low but had no issues launching my 17ft nitro. Have to back in far but it is a good gravel bottom so shouldn't be an issue. Water is so low that there is hardly any water coming over the dam at all. Probably lower than it ever was all of last year.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

Was out there today. We launched the tinny today. Definitely going to have to back in a ways. The shoreline is a little slick, but you should be alright.
solar
Participant
Participant

Post by solar »

Thanks for the replies gents. I drove by today and saw someone putting in. He said the water was low, about 3 feet in the bay, but it gets deeper as you move out toward the river proper. As Smokercraft said, its a nice gravel bottom at the launch.

Do you use your trolling motors to get out to deeper stuff, or do you prop-down once you're free of the shore?
smokercraft
Participant
Participant

Post by smokercraft »

you only have to get out from the launch a little bit and you will be fine with the motor, there are only a couple rocks right behind where you launch to watch for, The rest of the bay is ok. Make sure you stay in the river channel and watch for the points while cruising the river.
Lackey
Participant
Participant

Post by Lackey »

how was the fishing in the river today? i drove by and saw some truck and trailers, thinking about hitting there tomorrow.
Bass assassin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bass assassin »

Was out for 3 hours. Winds made it tough to stay in the spots. Caught a 3lb pike and a few smaller ones. Pretty slow though I guess after the weather on friday.
solar
Participant
Participant

Post by solar »

Out this morning at the Miss below the falls in Pakenham, caught pike, which is what everyone else appeared to be catching as well. From previous experience, that area is good for pike this time of year.

C