Looking for Eastern Ontario Trout Lake.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Dutchydr
Participant
Participant

Looking for Eastern Ontario Trout Lake.

Post by Dutchydr »

Hey folks, I realize what I am about to ask for is like asking for a mans last beer but here I am...asking for that last beer, or even a little sip.

I am looking for a spot to fish either speckles or rainbow trout around the Petawawa-Ottawa corridor (Ontario Side). I have a canoe, I dont over fish, I take out what I bring in (as well as others garbage I find) and I can keep a secret.
I would like to take the wife out for a little camping/fishing weekend, as she has never been trout fishing before.

I have the stocking lists and all that, but I am looking for a place not on the list and maybe a little less frequented. I am also not looking to head into Algonquin Park (yet)..although any fishing/canoe routes that you have found to be enjoyable would not be turned away if offered, as I would like to hit the park later this season.

If anyone can help the wife and myself out that would be much appreciated. I assume you will want to PM me the details of your special lake...I look forward to any assistance I receive.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Dutchy.
Robert Goulet
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Robert Goulet »

Dear Dutchy,

Good luck.

RG
Dutchydr
Participant
Participant

Post by Dutchydr »

Some people are actually willing to help others out, as I have received a couple of much appreciated tips to some unexplored (by me) waters.
To those of you that messaged me, I thank you kindly!
To the local trolls.... luck is all I have. :lol:
Hollywood
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Hollywood »

You might want to try Twin Lakes, it's off highway 41 near Dacre. As the name implies, there are two lakes there, Upper and Lower Twin. Lower has Rainbows and a ministry road into the side with a natural boat launch at the end of it. Upper twin is small and you have to hike to it up a trail, but it has speckles.

I haven't been there for a while, but it is usually not a bad set of lakes to try. Blackflies are bloody murder though. And, if you do the walk of shame back to the truck with an empty bag at the end of the day.... Opeongo Mountain trout farm is a few minutes away! hahaha. Best of luck!
Fishing is a heritage we need to teach. Take a kid fishing! And take me too while you're at it.
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

Opeongo trout farm has been closed for at least 5 years now. Lower Twin has some nice rainbows with the best luck being right from shore. Hint, never ever forget yellow dace. they love them there
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

Here is a quick list of "trout" lakes that I know of, but have yet to fish. This might be old news to some, but maybe some Hawkers may enjoy this:

Brook Lake -Off the 511 via Luker rd, stocked with Browns;
Joe's Lake - Off Lavant Darling rd, apparently stocked with Specs;
Grindstone Lake - North of Pleyna, stocked with Splake;
Mosque Lake - North of Pleyna, stocked with Bows, contains lakers;
Little Mosque lake -same area, stocked with Specs;
Brule Lake - same area, lakers
Farren Lake - south of Maberly, stocked with Splake;

I'm sure there are bunches more that are less known. What I did last year was pack the truck with snacks for the day, took a Backroads book and a stocking list, and went for a drive. Found a bunch of lakes that I could launch my boat at, discovered some new launches, and some not so good launches that could never handle my boat, or were too "natural" for anything more than a tinny.

Good luck!
Fishboy
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Fishboy »

Sportspal wrote:Here is a quick list of "trout" lakes that I know of, but have yet to fish. This might be old news to some, but maybe some Hawkers may enjoy this:

I'm sure there are bunches more that are less known. What I did last year was pack the truck with snacks for the day, took a Backroads book and a stocking list, and went for a drive. Found a bunch of lakes that I could launch my boat at, discovered some new launches, and some not so good launches that could never handle my boat, or were too "natural" for anything more than a tinny.

Good luck!
Well, that little list should all but guarantee that those lakes will be fished out before the end of the week...... :roll:
Time's fun when you're having flies.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

Fishboy wrote:
Sportspal wrote:Here is a quick list of "trout" lakes that I know of, but have yet to fish. This might be old news to some, but maybe some Hawkers may enjoy this:

Good luck!
Well, that little list should all but guarantee that those lakes will be fished out before the end of the week...... :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
There will be an influx of Great Grey Owls in the winter of 2017
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Good luck!
Thanks Sportpal! :? Strange how you would post places according to you" you never have fished"
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

I've posted nothing that isn't available through the stocking lists, or using the Backroads map book.
These lakes are stocked for public use, and most have true public boat launches, so why is this information supposed to be kept a secret?

When an angler buys a fishing license, this permits them to fish these opportunities that the Ministry provides for that purpose.

My opinion, take it or leave it, is that some people on this site have a false sense of entitlement and ownership over what belongs to the entire public. :?
moonshine
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moonshine »

if you feel that way, how about giving up the lakes that YOU fish. not lakes that others may be fishing.
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

if you feel that way, how about giving up the lakes that YOU fish. not lakes that others may be fishing.
Thanks Moonshine for proving my point regarding a false sense of entitlement. These may be lakes you fish, but you certainly aren't the only ones who do fish them, nor are they YOUR lakes.
I'm not looking to start any sort of argument on this, but if all lakes are supposed to be kept a secret, than no one would know about any of them; including youself.

As per your request, here are the lakes/rivers I regularly fish:

Taylor and Clayon Lake
Mississippi River out of Appleton
Rideau River out of Kars
Ottawa River out of Arnprior
Ottawa River out of Petrie
Ottawa River out of Braeside
Ottawa River out of Shirley's Bay
Madawaska Lake from Clay Banks
Madawaska River from Burnstown
White Lake
Silver Lake
Sharbot Lake
Stump Lake
Dalhousie Lake
Big Clear Lake
Kennebec Lake
Joe's Lake
Widow Lake
Clyde Lake
Flower Round Lake
Mile Lake
Calabogie Lake
Norcan Lake

I don't mind listing where I fish. In fact, I enjoy running into fellow Hawkers on these bodies of water because we have something in common, we love to fish.
Jimmy_1
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Jimmy_1 »

I fish Stump all the time!

LOVE IT!!!

Now that one really is in the middle of BFN....

Dalhousie is great too....heck want some walleye spots?
I fish when SHE lets me!!!
Sportspal
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Sportspal »

I also enjoy Stump, but have a heck of time chasing down the Eyes. I've caught a few around the first island from the launch in 10ft on a Eerie Deerie, but I can't seem to catch them in the typical spots, nor can I get in the deeper end near Dalhousie.
I usually do pretty well on Pike though.
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Sportspal wrote: I've posted nothing that isn't available through the stocking lists, or using the Backroads map book.
These lakes are stocked for public use, and most have true public boat launches, so why is this information supposed to be kept a secret?

When an angler buys a fishing license, this permits them to fish these opportunities that the Ministry provides for that purpose.

My opinion, take it or leave it, is that some people on this site have a false sense of entitlement and ownership over what belongs to the entire public. :?
So why post the names of those lakes over the internet???....if people want to search for trout lakes, then they can do like I did and MANY people I know on this site did.......get the STOCKING lists and/or Backroads maps and go spend some weekends searching for the lakes you desire to fish!!!....

A lot of guys are lazy and don't want to put the time in to search for lakes....they would rather have the names of lakes handed to them on a silver platter like you have done ....Listing a handful of small lakes like you have will now put much more PRESSURE on them!!

That's my opinion!