Carp done Cheap!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
riverdog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Carp done Cheap!

Post by riverdog »

Here is the cheap version of catching carp. Get a big heavy spinning rod from CT I paid $20.00 on sale, a 4000 spinning reel [b]drag at the back [/b]I paid $140.00 but the $20.00 CT Shimano will do the job! Get yourself some frozen corn I like to have 4-5 bags but 2-3 will do, sinkers I perfer press sinkers, some 50lb braid and some small carp hooks $7.00 for 8 at Carpins in Ingleside you might be able to get them some elsewhere, a stick shaped like a Y just like mudpouting. I like to scout the water out before deciding where I'm going to carp fish usually you'll see them. 12ft to 4ft of water is a good start and slow water is a fair bet. Place some corn on the hook toss it out and chum the area where you bait sits with the frozen corn and wait. Oh ya don't forget to set your drag to its lowest setting the zing it makes when a carp takes the bait is your alarm clock! A net is also handy but if your on a nice shallow flat bank its optional! I truly think this is one of the most kid friendly big fish outing.
Iceman
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Iceman »

Instead of bait on the hook directly, you could try the hair rig using the knotless knot. Gonna result in way more hook ups.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Angling-Time ... -hair-rig/

if you are in the area you should check out Jeff's store..

http://www.canadiancarpclub.on.ca/
Well and truly hooked!
TheFishstick
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TheFishstick »

Canne/frozen corn gets expensive after a while. Do yourself a favor and check out your local feed store and pick up a 50lbs bag of feed corn for about $15. Just don't forget to soak the corn or boil it to soften it up a bit before putting it on a hook or using it to chum since it can harm carp if not prepared properly. That or just get cracked corn which softens up much quicked when soaked,