Algonquin Virgin

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Re: Algonquin Virgin

Post by lapointeric »

Akira wrote:
lapointeric wrote:So I've read all of the Algonquin/Opeongo threads on this site and I'm now armed with some useful info for our trip, but I'm wondering if there's any more wisdom the pro's don't mind sharing....

We're going in at access point 11 Lake Opeongo, and paddling to the north arm. 6 Kayaks, 1 canoe. Most are in good shape.

Is this too ambitious? How long do you anticipate it taking us?

Essential Gear? (I think I have a good list, but maybe there's something I forgot)

Thanks!!

Eric

I recommend you picking up one of these.. They are cheap, light, compact and oh yeah, it cuts like a charm... (right Tip-up?? :) )

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4442238013

Very cool. But I'm spending money on so many other supplies that I need, a portable hand saw is the one thing I already have. :D THough it's pretty cheap... Thanks bud.

E
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Algonquin Virgin

Post by Joey Rat »

It's already been said but don't underestimate Opeongo if the wind starts to come up. As much as possible stick to the shore lines, you don't want to get caught in the middle of the lake if it starts to blow. If you are planning to procede into the park from Opeongo you might want to consider the water taxi to the top of the lake. It's a bit expensive but it can be a long paddle. Book in advance.

A wise man once said there is no bad weather just cheap gear. If you plan to do this regularly start accumulating good gear. Even if it's one thing at a time. I could now just about open my own store.

The point on parachute chord is that it is very strong for the small diameter which means it's light to carry a large amount. You will definately need rope to suspend your food from a tree away from your tent at night.

Another option to tablets is a carbon water filter pump. The one I have is good for about a litre a minute but you can pump hundreds of litres of water before changing the filter. They last for years.

Dry bags are vastly superior to garbage bags and compression bags for larger items like sleeping bags are a big help.

Quick dry clothing, including underwear is preferable to cotton and jeans are an absolute no no. Once wet they take hours to dry, even on a good day.

The only thing worse than being in the middle of the park without something you need is being there with too much gear.

The Algonquin Adventures site probably says this but don't plan on cooking on a campfire. Make sure you have a good stove and enough fuel.

Freeze dried foods are getting better but prepare a spice kit. A bottle of Franks red hot sauce makes everything better.

Tripping in Algonquin can be great or it can be miserable. Make it a great one.

Lastly, another access point you might want to try another time is Shall Lake going into Booth. The water is not too big, there are some great sandy beach camp sites and we have frequently heard wolves howl in the area. I think it's access 17 but I'd have to double check. You enter from the town of Madawaska.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!
Lucci
Participant
Participant

Post by Lucci »

Me and my buddy did our first algonquin trip earlier this spring and the things that we found most useful on our trip were . Firstly a good sleeping bag, The temperature can drop down pretty low at night so make sure that your bags are rated to the propper temt. We had not brought a small saw and it was the one thing we wished we had brought. As for iodine tablets we brought them but only as a backup, we boiled our water. Boiling for two minuits is just as effective as the tablets. If you guys are planning on changing sites allot and wanna start a fire get fire starters it made it soo much easier. the ones thaqt they sell at the access point store are the best i found but u can get a pack at lebaron or mec for cheap.Also its been said but bring the propper clothes, quick drying and some sort of rain suit or poncho. We packed pretty light and were very thankfull for it when it came time to portage and when the wind started to kick up on the water. A good pair of shoes was very helpful (waterproof preferably) and some sandals for on the site. For food dried stuff is compact and easy to cook dried veggie flakes and soup mix, trail mix, instant mash potatoes. (definitly some batter or spice for the fish you catch) and even instant coffee. The One thing that We were told to bring above all else and was the best advice, was to bring a good sense of humor and patience,Id rather a windy rainy day in algonquin that a sunny day in the office.
Tip-up
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Algonquin Virgin

Post by Tip-up »

Akira wrote:
lapointeric wrote:So I've read all of the Algonquin/Opeongo threads on this site and I'm now armed with some useful info for our trip, but I'm wondering if there's any more wisdom the pro's don't mind sharing....

We're going in at access point 11 Lake Opeongo, and paddling to the north arm. 6 Kayaks, 1 canoe. Most are in good shape.

Is this too ambitious? How long do you anticipate it taking us?

Essential Gear? (I think I have a good list, but maybe there's something I forgot)

Thanks!!

Eric

I recommend you picking up one of these.. They are cheap, light, compact and oh yeah, it cuts like a charm... (right Tip-up?? :) )

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4442238013
Best bush saw ever! VERY light and compact. I've never seen anything cut trees like that before except for my chainsaw :shock: I would highly recommend this, especially for your excursion. You might find it to be one of your best purchases :wink:
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Thanks again Joey Rat, Lucci, Tip-Up, DropShot'r, larryp7639, Akira, and others. I really appreciate it.

I'm sure we're more prepared gear-wise than we are with the actual kayaking part..... We're planning a training session so we can judge to see how long it would take to travel our route under normal conditions.

How long do you think it'll take?

Access point #11 -------> north arm
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Went to Mississippi River to do a training session for the Algonquin Trip. We did about 10km, in near perfect conditions.

I was trolling a Big O about 50 feet behind the kayak.

E
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Thanks to all that replied to this thread, and suggested gear, etc...

We had a very successful trip! Very little fish caught (hence the non-report).

But we are going back to the 'Gonq! This time to Galeairy Lake.

E