Why the obsession with bass?...just curious...

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why the obsession with bass?...just curious...

Post by RJ »

Hey Folks,

Now before I get berated for this... :lol: :lol:

Bass seems to be primarily the fish of choice for alot of people.....my question is Why?....because there is tournaments for them?...because they are relatively easy to catch?... :?:

I personally had fished the tournament scene for a few years and did enjoy the competition... :P ...but to me it just seemed like too much work....all it ever was, was prefishing...then a tournament...very rarely fished for just fun...so I gave it up...for now... :wink:

So why do you get all hopped up about opening of bass season?

RJ
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

Easy to catch and warm summer weather.

(Wish I could say that about walleye tournaments :lol:)

Before I get flamed by Bass anglers... :wink:

...I know it is not easy to catch 4 or 5 large hawgs to win a tournament.

BTW I feel they are easy to catch because of numbers and how many lakes have bass in them.
Last edited by eye-tracker on Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

To me this year it's all been about fishing for something new. I've fished for carp for about 15 years along with a few other species.

Fish-hawk.net introduced me to muskie and although i've yet to land one i'm more determined than ever. Hanging around at paddletales over the winter has certainly hightened my interest in bass. I'm by no means jumping through hoops to fish tournements but perhaps one day i'll give them a try.

I can relate bass fishing to carp fishing in that they can be easy to catch but at times they can be near on impossible. Also perhaps the many different methods of catching them and using my knowledge from other species so i can spot locations and recognise where to cast that bait. I can see how bass fishing can become as technical as carp fishing and that certainly interests me.

To me bass is a species that let's my fill the gap between the spring carp fishing and the fall muskie/walleye fishing.

One thing i've learned is that most tournament bass anglers have perhaps been branded with a bad name. I've yet to meet one that isn't more than willing to help me out with questions i may have. There's always a few bad apples no matter what species they fish for.

The few times i've been out targetting them so far have been outstanding and i've enjoyed every minute.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Pound for pound probably the best fighting fish (SM) you will encounter as a youngster, hence your hooked.
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by eye-tracker »

fishforfun wrote:Pound for pound probably the best fighting fish (SM) you will encounter as a youngster, hence your hooked.
FishForFun...
Now I wish I could say that about walleye :lol: :lol: A 10lb eye can't even pop-off an inline planer board :oops:
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey RJ

there is so many places to fish for Bass ,making them a favorite fish, plus the tackle is ready available ..even at gas stations in prime fishing areas....what you pay for one muskie lure ..will buy you a wack of soft plastics to catch bass....and you are right they are reativly easy to catch....well not when I'm with John :? ...and they are easyer to hold up for that photo than Muskie :wink:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Likely because they're so plentiful, it's one of the first species encountered by many would be my guess. I know it pretty well was for me :!:

Agree with FFF, Smallies rule when they start their aerial acrobatics :!: :shock: :lol:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

nahh i just crossed my fingers when you said jinx :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big-o is right the equipment is much more readily available. As many will point out finding the monster fish is still hard no matter which species it is.
Heck and on tournament days you have to find more than one :roll:
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Snag »

I love them for the memories. Also being a relatively new angler, I like to fish for the easier fish. And I find it more fun fishing in the slop with frogs, and cranking around logs than trolling or being more in open water.

Also I love their fight, it just makes me so excited when i land one. Also I'm never had one jump for a frog or a rat in the slop and I'm just dying for that to happen!
moondog
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moondog »

I'm sorta with RJ on this one !! I'd rather catch a huge pike or muskie. But FFF is right. Pound for pound the smallmouth has to be the best fighting fish !!!
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

I caught a 15lb Walleye that fought like a bucket of water, and have had 3lb SM fight like big a bow.They are scrappy fish and a lot of fun, probably more common in Ontario waters than any other species except perch.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

fff that's why i'll never see myself fishing for walleye more than a handfull of times each year. I do really want to catch a 10lb+ walleye out of quinte which is very possible but they just don't put up much of a scrap.

I'd love to catch a few big bass though... and everyone is right for their size they fight well... especially when they get airborn.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Oh I'm not putting bass fishing down by any means.... 8)

I love banging nice smallies....and pitchin' for largies is great too....

The availability plays a big part in it I think.....is there a lake/river in Ontario that doesn't have bass in it?

Pound for Pound the best fighting is the bass....ROCK BASS that is!... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am hooked on larger fish...muskies...pike...gar... :wink:

RJ
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Muskies are a blast....but they are few and far between for me... inbetween muskies....Bass are #2....#1 Crappie
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

why bass:?

Post by Jigs »

:shock:

Regards: Jigs