Kingston Area Brook Trout

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JohnB
Participant
Participant

Kingston Area Brook Trout

Post by JohnB »

Hi Everybody,

I have not fished in the Kingston area and would like find some spots for brook trout. I'm limited to shore fishing because I have no boat. If anybody knows any spots within 1.5 hours driving of Kingston and would let me know that would be great. Thanks for your time.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Look a few pages back at a post entitled BROOKIE LAKES.

But, there are not many lakes very close to K-Town with brookies. Frontenac Park has Tetsmine and 2 other lakes, but, to get to them you pretty much need to plan a camping trip into the interior of the park, and, the lakes do not have sites very close to camp. So, expect to portage about 1 km (I believe) in and out. Otherwise, in 1 1/2 hours you might want to drive up Calabogie or Ompah way, but, you'd need to be driving relatively quick to make it in that time. :D
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey JOHN B.

WELCOME to the site :D Moosebunk is right if you go back a few pages in Fish talk there was a thread on all the local lakes that held differant spiecies of trout....Good Luck Please keep us posted on your trip
JohnB
Participant
Participant

Post by JohnB »

I've been looking at a map of Front. Park and Tetsmine Lake is in the north of the park. It looks like you can walk in on a trail from Canoe Road. This seems like a much shorter distance than going through the heart of the Park.

Does anyone know if my assumption is correct? I don't know the Park at all and Tetsmine seems like the closest place for Brookies.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

JohnB,

If that's the case, best to call the park first before using that access in order to find out if there are any loop-holes to your plan, and secondly, if you can use it, the terrain in the park can be quite hilly, but the trails are well used, marked and maintained. Take a big water bottle and your bug stuff.

Sharbot Lake area also has two lakes stocked with brook trout. Little Round Lake is easy to find and access, but, the lake can be heavily fished, and I'm not sure as to when was the last time it was actually stocked.

All lakes mentioned are best fished with some sort of water craft. Shore fishing on little round is quite pointless, especially in warmer weather.

Good Luck
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I don't have a map in front of me right now but the fastest way into Tetsmine I believe is from the dam at Kingsford Lake. Thats the way I have gone in. I'll be honest with you... this time of the year and with those lakes I don't know. I think you'd be very hard pressed to catch a trout. I do hope you prove me wrong!

It might seem rather strange but the pond at the corner of 509 and Hwy 7 at Sharbot Lake would be a better spot. At least you can get a canoe on it and get out over some deeper water. These ponds aren't native brookie habitat management is on a put and take basis. Other than that I would check out the Bing Retreat.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Thanks ganman for the extra info, that pond is Little Round Lake. :D
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

JohnB

If you are from K-town try heading out to millhaven creek. If you fish the mouth out near Bath (I think) its great for browns and rainbows in the mornings and evenings. You can also fish the creek upstream near Taylor Kid parkway north of Collins Bay. Small Browns and Rainbows hold in the fast water all year.

If you want great laktrout action hit the mouth in September-October and cast into the Lake with Little Cleos and hold on. The Lakers spawn on the shoreline there.

Good luck and let us know of any results.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I'm not sure the comment regarding trout holding in Millhaven Creek all year holds water because Millhaven dosen't hold water in the summer. I'm an executive member of the Kingston Flyfishers and I've never heard of such a thing nor have any of our members but hey I'd love to be the first to be proven wrong. Few trout get above the falls down near Hwy 33 (behind the Legion). Any that did would be hard pressed to make it through summer. I agree with your comment about the Lakers but by the time they are in usually the seasons over and yes when there's water you can catch trout in the creek but not above the falls. The actual area to fish is very small. The closest trout stream of any consequence near Kingston is Cold Creek an hour west just north of Brighton. For anyone in eastern Ontario who wants serious stream fishing for resident trout buy a New York state license and head for the Adirondacks. I've been doing that for 20 years.
Muskiemagnet
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Muskiemagnet »

Ive personally caught small browns just off Taylor Kidd pkwy outside of Bayridge about ten years ago. If you go down there you will see lots of evidence of people fishing there. I grew up in Bayridge in Kingston and lived there half my life. The trout I've caught and have seen come out of the creek are very small 6-8 inchers, but they are there. Check it out.

Are lakers not open all year in lake Ontario??

Just got a brain cramp release, my mistake. I actually caught the browns in Collins Creek off Taylor Kidd. Sorry for the confusion.

Ganman, you're right Millhaven Creek is nothing more than a drainage creek during the summer.
JohnB
Participant
Participant

Post by JohnB »

Thanks for all the help. I will try Collins creek first as it is closest. Brighton sounds good too. I used to fish alot in the Organville/Shelburne area for brook trout. I had a simple plan - drive around the countryside until I found a stream and then fish. Most of the streams are fast moving and small with brookies in them, but the Kingston area landscape is quite different. I'll let you know how the trip goes, once I get out. Again thanks to everyone for the help.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Your right about the landscape around Kingston the heavy clay soils and low gradient are not condusive to trout streams, however there are a few places where a spring pokes through a pocket of sandy loam soil and a tiny creek emerges. At one time or another someone has stocked brookies in them and they took hold. One creek about 20 miles northeast of the city was one such place. It ran pure and cold all summer in a bottomland sheltered by granite hills and towering pine and hemlock. You could jump across it almost anywhere. Occasionally the beavers would damn it and before the pond filled with sediment you had great fishing for fat trout that all seemed 10 inches, no bigger or smaller. One September maybe 20 years ago I derricked a brilliantly colored, hook jawed and humpbacked male 14" from an undercut bank in the creek.

The original landowners are gone now and the current owners established a gravel pit and installed tile beds (an environmental curse!) in the neighbouring corn fields so I doubt things are the same but they may be they are. If your interested PM me I'll give you the directions. Let me know how you do. I'm too lazy anymore to crawl around a bug infested trout creek but I'm curious what you might find.