bass tournaments=dead fish

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
hawg hunter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by hawg hunter »

WOW this topic seems ta come up every year and i agree with both sides :oops: but like i read these fish are $s to the tournament fisher people and they do all they can ta keep these great fish alive (adding helpful catch and release to there live wells to help insure strong fish)and well enough ta be released so some one else may enough the catch as well.

fact remains fish die weather you catchem /i catchem or joe blow catches them,i was out the other day and seen 3 pike in a bay floating 2 were dead for awhile and one just a day or 2 old,this im sure was not a result of a tournament but rather a fisher caught and released it but with the warm temps and stress of being caught these pike passed on.

yes tournament kill fish.....yes anglers kill fish....

ive seen tournaments come along way in this regards,one thing ive noticed in our Quinte Series is they do not allow small mouth ta be weighed in in the first tournament of the year reason being is one alot are still on the nest spawning and 2,too many die as a result of too much stress im not saying some still don't die after all taking a smallie out a cool water and letting it go in very warm water is not the best release ive heard of but atleast this tournny makes a effort to release them in deeper water so they can get to the preferred temp faster.

which i think all tournaments do(but i do not know for sure)

l really think all tournaments are doing there very best to prevent this
problem and things have and will continue to get better as we advance.

again just my 2 1/2 cents folks

taker easy and stay safe

Hawg Hunter
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

BB444,

I'm just curious. I thought you fished tournaments? But you seem very anti-tournament. Can you give examples of community service projects you have done in to communities where you have fished tournaments?

I agree some tournaments could possibly do more to support the local communities.

JimW

Big Bass 444 wrote:There will be no winners out of this Joco....if you take the time to read the thread carefully you will see people repeating what others had allready point out. This topic is about defending rights and positions...Informative??? ...not sure about that unless you want to believe what you read is right.

You said you don't care about people against you....Fish Hawk is a board of opinions...even if you're right some will be opposed..some might not even like you..but you had a voice here and I did appreciate it...insults where avoided in this thread....well almost :lol: :wink:

....one other thing that was left in the shadows here....lets say I'm a lake resident and I see a bunch of 225-300hp invading my lake for the weekend...to put at rest a few 100 basses for 8 to 10 days..that might just upset me a little..Polution as many aspects :wink: .Lac Des Iles was close to one organisation a few years back.....The reputation of tournament anglers might be dandy among them...but go outside of it....and ask about what reputation these non-resident, dock flippin have....not the perfect image you would think....it as become almost dangerous to approach a dock these days! :lol: .1 guy flipping a dock in one day.mmm!..yeah!..o.k!..6-7-8..10? guys flipping the same dock on a tournament weekend day that might be a problem though when a lake resident might be looking for peace!!....some guy even had a sprinckler system on is dock last year to keep anglers away :lol: :lol: :lol: ..now that was funny! to see this work! :lol: .if you make 20 000$ in profits for a tourney....apply some of it to local community causes where tournaments are held!....it might be a good thing :wink: ..I would go even further..organisations should request for all anglers wanted to take part in a series to give a full day of community service in a town of their choice where a tournament event is help...and brag about that instead...just a though! :wink:
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

CN.

if you read what i said..that gord pyzer is a real good guy and one off the best fishermans.

this is like politics..some stuff wont be said...that its how it is.

you think somebody that is posonrd is going to say something against a product or,a fact..etc..that guy or gal just dont say anything about the subjec...

and hoever you are anyone cant say how mamy bass will die..no one..whatever pro or best scientifc or fisherman no cant say..unles you put all off them in a confine space and look at them and count the, and so on..if not how can anyone no.?..mabe if you tag every bass..every one thet as been caught and release all off them even the one caught and relase during the day to.

so wathver those guy have to say..it might be good info..but it wont be the real numbers becasue it cant be done unles you tag them and so on.

SO CN..show me numbers.? no fake stats.number that look good but not the truth ..true numers ooff every bass..caught that day or hook and not braught to the boat everything that happen that day...it just cant be done.so no number cant be true.

i never sau the derbies were not doing the best they could..most off then do..but its life fishing kill fish..so whatever you do..it will help but wont stop the killing..its how its is .

but more could be done and i did saw a few exmpakle off stuff that could be done..but..lets facte it derbies are a show to..people want to see the fish in the iar off the guy sit in is boat etc etc etc. :roll: (for some derbies0 or see the bags off fish walk to the weight station etc..why loose all that time..why not weight or measure the fish on the spot,,where it was caught..so that way.the fish is a lot less time in a livewell and its back where it was caught in no time..compare to stay in that livewell so long..time in a livewell dont help the fish at all..no one cant say it those not do anything to a fish.

so yes a lot more can be done to make it even safer for the fish.yes..but it wont happen..for all kind of reason.
and for your last staemtn tru you can take 3 people and have 3 deferent stories...but take the one that is not involve wit his topic wathver the topic and you will get a more realistic approche..it should be.

sher you take a guy that is onto bass fishing a lot and into derbies..sher wont like a lot off statemtn in my say..but take a guy that dont care about bass fishing and will say.mabe some is tru.

i am not sauyin my version off the thing here.

you san seee it and everyonbe say it..

it kill bass...yes..like every kind off fishing bass or other species.

and what can i say more fishing for a species =more off that species wil die..cant go in onother way there.cant get more people fishing and less kill..it just cant happen..so more = more kills

so..ex 1000 bass caught .time 1000,s off derbies = how mutch kill.? we dont no and no one do no..wathver you are the best fisherman or pro..no one can no the true numbers..could be low could be high we dont no.

joco
Last edited by joco on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
bamboozler
Participant
Participant

Post by bamboozler »

To be honest, I don't know if giving something back to a community would be the way to go for cottagers versus perhaps giving something back to the lake fishery. Would it be a stretch to "stock" a particular lake with bass with some of the proceeds of a tournament? Or, perhaps, having tourney organizers get in touch with the Lake associations to see what they might want (whether it's conservation or education?)

In some way, if the tourney anglers are giving back to the lake, maybe cottagers (and everyone else) would be more receptive.

Of course, I'm speaking as an angler and cottager on the Big R. I do also realize that tourney organizers are volunteers as well...
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

bamboozler

stocking the lakes wit bass........now you are talking why not.

its not becasue a water budy have a load off them it should not be stock.

i like that.

can handle all those boaters.and fisherman pressure

and get the cottager around the lake to vote for a derby or not..man there are the people that live there why should they have to see this bunch off speedy gunzales hahahah all over the lake and get the bass under there front dock and those bass get put back in water 3 miles up there..and not back where it was frome.

people on the water derbies are should be all contact all people...not just a group or a orgasisation off that area..but the cottager and owner of that body off water.

again the stocking i am happy to see this.

and bring back or weight the fish and reasle where it was caught right there on the spot no where hesle...the bass is there for a reason why put it back where it was not.

joco...........and it might look i am not a guy that like derbies i do like the derbies..but it should be more regulated and more stricte and have more regs in them...about what you can do..on some waters like speeds and bass protection etc.

max 9.9hp and top car toper boat only ..for all species off derbies...

man i must be in the black list of a few now. :lol:

joco
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

bamboozler wrote:To be honest, I don't know if giving something back to a community would be the way to go for cottagers versus perhaps giving something back to the lake fishery. Would it be a stretch to "stock" a particular lake with bass with some of the proceeds of a tournament? Or, perhaps, having tourney organizers get in touch with the Lake associations to see what they might want (whether it's conservation or education?)

In some way, if the tourney anglers are giving back to the lake, maybe cottagers (and everyone else) would be more receptive.

Of course, I'm speaking as an angler and cottager on the Big R. I do also realize that tourney organizers are volunteers as well...
Do you know of any bass hatcheries? Do they even exist? Or would they need to net bass in one lake to take to another lake?
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

to be hinest i dont no any bass hatechery but why not build one.

for the bass derby market.

or to stock lkaes..etc.
but mabe there soe in some place.?

i never look for that.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

to be hinest i dont no any bass hatechery but why not build one.

for the bass derby market.

or to stock lkaes..etc.
but mabe there soe in some place.?

i never look for that.

joco
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

i just look and there is a load off them..but mabe not around here

ex

http://www.larsenoutdoors.com/html/bass_hatchery.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wEiGPo8WPY

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fi ... tion.phtml

that would be so good...and would save a lot off talking. and would help the derbies against the people on those waters

at least its one more good thing to hep the situation.

joco.
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

I don't think stocking is required or would be worth it. Better to work on improving fish habitat and spawning beds. We have some plans this fall for some offshore habitat improvements on Mississippi Lake.

JimW
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

Jim

Is this for walleye or bass?

Was there much involved to get permits etc?
bamboozler
Participant
Participant

Post by bamboozler »

improving fish habitat and spawning beds. We have some plans this fall for some offshore habitat improvements on Mississippi Lake
JimW, that is fantastic. Is this the cottage association getting together or is it an initiative of a tournament? Either way, it's good news.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm concerned about Big R's fishery because of the fishing pressure from the weekend warriors like myself and the tourneys.
Big Bass 444
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Big Bass 444 »

Jim W.

First thing I would like to say to you is I respect you lots...been looking at all your posts and replies...I like it..you care :wink:

I am 100% for tournaments. It's a time where you can meet some great anglers...maybe share a few tips and great conversations. You can learn many good things about different and new products and get the feedback on them right there at the events.
What I want to see is some improvements in the events and organisations I think lots of it as been coverd allready so I won't go there again.
No mather what was said here in a positive or negative way about tournaments I would just wish on one thing and one thing only..that we are making the best we can do right now to make sure that all is safe and all is good for futur tournaments in all organisations.
The guys making trails should be the first one up front to make sure of that and make sure the corrections can be made and addressed ASAP because they are the ones on site and they see what is going on. So, I would ask all tournament trail anglers...if you can improve your trail and it's ways....do it and make those changes...If all is dandy with your organisations then spread the word on how efficient it is so others can learn from it!...There should be a board of administration in each Province that would control all tournament trails....why not!
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Habitat improvements... off shore structure for bass, walleye, crappie.....????? We applied to the MNR to get approval, this is a project of the Ottawa Valley Bassmasters, our first habitat improvement project. We will hopefuuly do more in the future as we get more experience doing these types of projects.

BB444,

I see your points. I personally would just encourage people/tournament trails to just do all they can (within reason) to promote fish conservation, habitat protection, youth fishing etc....Having some type of governing board for tournaments only adds red tape, could restrict our rights to fish, make it hard for small "tournament trails". Our local Bassmaster tournaments are 8 to 10 boats, it could be too costly if some governing body controlled tournaments (probably charge fees to tournament organizations) and there would be no guarantee tournaments would be run any better with more government interference.

Cheers, have a good weekend everyone and go fishing. I'm off to Toronto, unfortunately the only fish I will see will probably be in the St. Lawrence market. :lol:

JimW
dead_weight
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

not a fan

Post by dead_weight »

I'm not a fan of tournaments from what others have told me .. but I also don't think that they should be banned ... they are just not for me ... I fish to get away from it all and hear nothing but birds and me cussing when I lose a big one (which is often) ... I think like all things tournaments are always progressing, changing and improving they way they do them and handle the fish. I think this is a really healthy argument and I hope similar discussions are happening with the organizers ... lets face it both tourney people and non-tourney people are all in this for one reason .. for a love of fishing ... and so we all have a vested interest to keep lakes healthy ... having said all that ... i side with the folks who don't like a bunch of boats tearing up and down the lake full blast to get to a particular spot first ... I've been in the wake of a big boat going mock 10 in my little kayak .. not fun ... but to me if it's one day a year and I know about it then I simply fish someplace else ... this was a good topic ... sure would be interesting to gather everyone from this post around the campfire some evening ... or perhaps not !!