Ottawa River Fishing - Need Help!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Shooter_
Participant
Participant

Ottawa River Fishing - Need Help!

Post by Shooter_ »

Well I just got into fishing this year and its great....but being new I need a little help.

There are a bunch of us at work that fish the Ottawa River and we have a bit of a competition going...how did I get myself into this! :D

I've been fishing mainly the Rockland area but I'd like to find a couple of other good spots to try...Petrie Island, Baie Noire and maybe up by Montebello.

I'll be mainly going for Bass or Pike..any tips on those areas and what lures have been good would be appreciated.
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

White Spinner Baits and Tubes....
Also try straight across from the Rockland launch...
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Shooter

Welcome to the board :D ...I've fished montobello once...I worked the rocky shore line along the Lodge with a brown colored tube!!! I not sure if you can get into the harbour where all the boats are moored ..but if you can i would work the tubes alone the worfs and boats...careful not hit the boats with your bait...it realy pee pee off the owners..rightfuly so...I work the same colored tube under the Peace bridge.....Buzz baits and Spinner baits will cover a lot of water fast....make sure you have second rod rigged up with jig or tube....that way if you get a follower you may be able to catch it on the jig or tube....baseicaly...work down trees, stumps,weeds ..ect!!!!
Boat possition is important also...try to keep the bow into the wind and use your electrics on slow as not to startle the fish,by keeping your bow into the wind it will slow the boat down and you will be able to work the area better...buy the wind not blowing you buy your intended tarrget!
In calm waters and lots of weeds i would use a topwater bait....scum frog, phat rat, moss boss these are weedless ,but hook ups are hard..but if you get a boil...try casting that second rod with the jig or tube...a soft presention is needed in this situation a big splash will just scare off your fish.... ..I hope this helps a little ...I know there will be other tips from other members of this board :D good luck..and keep us updated on your compition :D :D :D
Predator
Participant
Participant

Help ! You are beyond help !

Post by Predator »

Shooter,

With a name like that...you need to drive to loblaws and buy a fish. You are probably the type of guy that holds the fish like a gun !

Good luck !
Shooter_
Participant
Participant

Post by Shooter_ »

thx for the replies

shooter
Crawler
Participant
Participant

Can you say THUNDER !

Post by Crawler »