Fishing Update - North Bay and beyond!

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Snag
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Fishing Update - North Bay and beyond!

Post by Snag »

Not to go too much into personal stuff, but I recently changed careers and am currently I am living in North Bay, Ontario. Come September my training moves to New Brunswick where I likely won't get too much fishing in.

I've been here since May have started off doing some pike fishing, exploring Lake Nipissing, Nosbonsing, and the Mattawa. My biggest pike was a decent one although I did not take any measurements.

Although being in North Bay (for the summer) isn’t that drastically far from back home, the water here is quite different. There isn’t as much shallow warm weedy waters, and instead we have deep cool glacier type conditions.

Recently I scoped out a nearby lake which has a hidden launch as its mainly a rich cottagers lake, called Four Mile Lake. It’s neat where its almost like two lakes connected… one side the deepest being 8fow.. the other about 30fow. And it had one of the sexiest smallie water I’ve seen (deep shoreline, overhanging trees, rock humps) but have only found tiny smallies. Maybe due to the small size of the lake? I’ve had a couple locals tell me to stay clear of it due to the crappy fishing… but I think I may just take a few more cracks at it.

Next is Trout Lake, a larger and much deeper lake (200ft+). I’ve been targetting the shoals and have had some success (using tubes, senkos and heavier minnow baits).

And casting cranks along sand flats and drop offs have brought in some more smallies:

From the North Bay region to a little more South East I managed to join a couple regular fishing buddies out on a day at Port Hope. We had some rods firing and Ian landed a new personal best at 28lbs!!

On another day Tony and I hit Big Rideau Lake and laid a smack-down on them getting around 40 largies fishing all day Sunday. The bass were sitting under docks, in deep weeds, over rock shoals, and just out in the open. And they smacked everything from jigs, beavers, cranks, spinnerbaits and even one on a buzz frog.

Lastly, I had an amazing opportunity to fish with Aaron Shirley from Surely Fishing TV http://surelyfishing.ca/ and Lonnie King for an upcoming show in 2011. We spent a couple days after largies and it was awesome! Thanks again to Aaron, what a blast he is to fish with.

It's been a great summer so far, so hopefully I can make the best of it before I am off again for training.

P.S. If anyone knows anyone who is from Gagetown, New Brunswick and likes fishing... send me a PM! :lol:
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Great report Christine. Have fun out east.

JimW
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

Awesome report!!

I hope that my girls end up like you when they are adults and carry their love for fishing even when they are not with me anymore!

Heck of a report! Thank you!!!

Craig
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

wow this is what a great report is all about.

loving it.

that last bass pict is great should be in a frame. :wink: that is a very very nice bass.

thaks to share.

sad we dont see you mutch anymore here.. :cry: ..but you do you she rock the house.

joco :D
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Great report Christine . Good pictures
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
fiiish
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by fiiish »

Awesome report. Love the pics. Thanks for sharing. :D
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

A Well put together report if I do say so myself... 8) 8) 8)

Would it be safe to say you tried to sneak in a couple of EAP shots ... :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
baz fish
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by baz fish »

Thats a great report Snag some very nice bass you got :D .
HotelTango
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by HotelTango »

Excellent report, very nice fish.
All fishermen are liars except for you and me, and to tell you the truth, I'm not sure about you.
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

The best report and pics I have seen here in a while.

BM
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by muskymatt »

Great report snag...

I spent most of my youth in North Bay and lived on Trout lake for about 12 years and know it very well...nice waters to fish for sure.

There are sooooo many areas around there that offer amazing angling that you'll never get tired of it.

Nice to see the old stomping grounds are alive and well.... 8)
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Some big bruisers in there Christine. Congrats!
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

That sure is a good post Christine. It is nice that you shared your thoughts. As far as NB goes, there is a good Speckle fishery out there. Of course there is Atlantic and the Bay of Chaleur. I don't think it will take long for you to get acquainted with the spots. You'll have to practice your Acadian!!!
Best of Luck
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
Out4trout
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Out4trout »

Great report! Very chunky LM. G'luck in Gagetown
Mike P
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Mike P »

Nice report and some big fish.