Sauger is in fact a "Blue Pickerel"

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Waldonator
Participant
Participant

Sauger is in fact a "Blue Pickerel"

Post by Waldonator »

Gentlemen......and Ladies

I went on several websites to do some research of my own to see if the fish we caught (Rescue78 and myself....see "Blue Pickerel"...fish talk page) were in fact Sauger.

Several members had some excellent input but here are my results....If you "Ask Jeeves", or just search for "Blue Pickerel" on the web, several sites, in their definition refer to Blue Pickerel as a Sauger.

Also, this months "Field and Stream" fish of the month is the Sauger, and they also refer to a "Sauger" as a "Blue pickerel, among other names.

Thought you lads might like to know that as far as I'm concerned....Blue, or yellow.......they're still "Waldos" in my book

Cheers
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

The Canadian Biodiversity website at McGill University lists Blue Walleye as a unique species (Stizostedion vitreum glaucum).
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
Waldonator
Participant
Participant

Post by Waldonator »

I did find some websites that also had Blue Walleye as a separate species but most that I was on anyway had several different names for Blue Walleye etc.

Anyway I guess after is all said and done, no matter how you look at it, it's always nice to have something tuggin on the end of your line.