flourocarbon

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

flourocarbon

Post by High Noon »

I can't spelll it and I don't like the stuff. In fact I hate it. All it does is argue with me all day long. Bring on the mono.

Thanks

High Noon
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Leader material only!
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
JZ
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

lb test

Post by JZ »

what lb test were you using and what type of set up?
Kovalchuk
Participant
Participant

Post by Kovalchuk »

Daner wrote:Leader material only!
Exactly! I use 25lb. test fluoro for all my non-musky homemade leaders... and it works great!
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by High Noon »

8 & 10 lbs. on spinning reels and 14lbs. on a baitcaster. I will be switching to mono for everything. I do have it as a leader on a twitch bait rod tied on to 15 lb Power Pro.

Any suggestions on the best mono out there. I have been using Berkley XL for years?

High Noon
beachburger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by beachburger »

8 & 10 lbs. on spinning reels and 14lbs. on a baitcaster.
What brand of fluoro are you using?
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Any suggestions on the best mono out there. I have been using Berkley XL for years?
Berkley Trilene Green.
Pike Puncher
Participant
Participant

Post by Pike Puncher »

I've got 8, 12, 15, 17, 20, and 25 Trilene 100% on various set-ups. First off, it doesn't like spinning reels, so don't go over 8lb on a 2500 or 3000 sized reel and don't expect it to cast like mono. Second, use KVD's line conditioner. It sounds like total BS, but that stuff is magic. Spray it on when spooling up, and add a few squirts the night before you go out. Third, a carefully tied palomar is the way to go. Other brands of fluoro might prefer a different knot, but Trilene 100% works with the palomar.

It took me a bit to dial it in, but I really like fishing with fluoro. If you still hate it, I've used Sufix Elite in 10 and 17lb this year and have been very impressed. That's the best mono I've ever used, and a squirt of KVD juice on that line will add distance to your casts as well.

Billy
troutnmuskiehunter
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by troutnmuskiehunter »

Daner wrote:
Berkley Trilene Green.
I thought you used to be a Stren guy :oops: ....guess that's how long it's been since we fished together :lol:
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Stop the nonsense please. It has nothing to do with the author's post! :!:
For that matter, all the posts that I have replied to.
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

I have to agree about using it for leaders only. For the last 2 years my main bass rig has included a spool of 20lbs Spirder-Wire braid with an 8' 12lbs flurocarbon leader and it works like a charm. I just used a double nail knot to connect them. You can cast far as hell with the braid and then let the worm sink down into the weeds with the invisible fluro leader.
bm_attar
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by bm_attar »

Dupe420 wrote:I have to agree about using it for leaders only. For the last 2 years my main bass rig has included a spool of 20lbs Spirder-Wire braid with an 8' 12lbs flurocarbon leader and it works like a charm. I just used a double nail knot to connect them. You can cast far as hell with the braid and then let the worm sink down into the weeds with the invisible fluro leader.
This is what I used and it worked just fine (except I use a uni knot or a swivel). For surface lures I just use braid.

BM
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
Duper
Participant
Participant

Post by Duper »

bm_attar wrote:
Dupe420 wrote:I have to agree about using it for leaders only. For the last 2 years my main bass rig has included a spool of 20lbs Spirder-Wire braid with an 8' 12lbs flurocarbon leader and it works like a charm. I just used a double nail knot to connect them. You can cast far as hell with the braid and then let the worm sink down into the weeds with the invisible fluro leader.
This is what I used and it worked just fine (except I use a uni knot or a swivel). For surface lures I just use braid.

BM
Sorry I mean double uni knot, not nail knot. It's pretty much the most basic knot and it works great for me.
High Noon
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by High Noon »

I used Seagar. It's good to know other folks have had issues with it. I will pick up Some Suffix on Monday and hopefully try it out in the afternoon. I am not a very experienced fisherman and I don't get out as much as I would like so. when something fouls up it puts a damper on the day. The guys on TV sure make the stuff sound like the cat's meow. Thanks again.

High Noon
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

High Noon.
If you don't fish that often, buy a quality Berkley Trilene.
You can add the line additive that has been suggested, if you want - I don't.
This way, you will not have the back head thought that you did not buy the proper product!
Under good conditions the line should last for many years. Remember to change the line up, every while. Hey, try the floro.. for your leaders.
But then, you will have to tie a blood knot!!!
I do hope that this will help you make your buy. :!: