Bass fishing tips needed

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
someone
Participant
Participant

Bass fishing tips needed

Post by someone »

Hi every pros,

This is second year I try to catch some bass ( I mean size bigger than 12").
Normally I go to Clayton Lake in the early morning with worm as lure. Sometimes I can caught 2-3 bass, all by chance. Because the fishing spots are often changing. This time I caught few bigger ones, next time possibly none.

Could anyone give some suggestions how to find the good fishing spot please? Usually I anchor the boat near the weeds or the area we can see some log in the bottom. Is this kind of area too shallow?

During the day time, the fish move to the deep area, is worm still good as lure?

TIA!

Mike
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Someone........try Spinner baits , or tubes...work docks trees weeds...these are high percentage areas
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Generally speaking, bigger lures catch bigger fish. But, with that said, it often means the smaller ones won't give you the time of day. So it can be a toss up of quality over quantity.
(remember this is generally speaking, I have seen some pretty small, yet ambitious little fish hit some big lures).

Can I tell you where the big ones are? ... Nope, still looking for them myself. :cry: Let me know what you come up with. :D

Good luck.

M.T. Livewell
someone
Participant
Participant

Post by someone »

Thanks!

I still don't have confident in this kind of lures because so far I only caught fish by using worms.

Normally the areas near weeds are shallow, when the sun comes out, we even can see the bottom clearly. Are these places we still can catch some big bass?
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Caught some nice bass last weekend in between 6" and a foot of water. Yup, there are fish there.

Funny thing about the worms. I introduced my father to fishing some 4 years ago. He has a tackle box full of stuff, but always brings along worms and minnows. It was until his 3 year that he actually caught something on an artificial, and I didn't even notice. Seems he'd try some stuff for a 1/2 hour or so and get bored and go back to livebait. I was compeletely oblivious until he shouted with joy when he caught something on a artificial.

And catching them on artificials is both rewarding and quite doable - just ask the tourney guys, no live bait allowed. You be amazed what a bass will put in its mouth! :shock:

M.T. Livewell
Last edited by M.T. Livewell on Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve G
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Steve G »

Typically if you can see down they can see you...

I have had great luck casting to the shallows from a far, with small spinners, and getting nice SM, along shores or weeds from a distance, less spooking them.

Also from what I have read here that the BIG Bass can be found deeper at drop offs, not just in the thick weeds. (not accually caught them deep yet :? )
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

M.T. Livewell wrote: Seems he'd try some stuff for a 1/2 hour or so and get bored and go back to livebait. M.T. Livewell
That's pretty much my story too. The only fishing I use lures for is pike fishing and then it's almost always a spoon. I know cranks/spinner baits work for pike - but I have better luck with spoons personally.