Digital Camera

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
TroutSlayer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TroutSlayer »

Most of the photos at my site were taken with my Cannon A40, which is only 2 megapixel. The four AA batteries seem to last forever.
Cheers,
Cheers,
TS
carp-starter
Participant
Participant

Digital Camera

Post by carp-starter »

Hello bts,

Sorry that I did not reply earlier. I was having login problems until today.

I bought a digital camera about 2 months ago and this is what I did to buy what I did buy.

I spend between 75 to 100 hours searching – printouts, comparing and etc.

Check the Future Shop address (see below) – on the right side it has buying guides (etc) on digital cameras. Future also has reviews on cameras by the people.

I thought that for $129.95 (on sale at FS) for a no name camera was good. Good thing I did not buy it. I read the reviews on FS and they were not good. FS no longer sells this camera.

I thought of buying Olympus. Then I changed over to Nikon. And then at the last moment I decided to buy the Canon A80 (4.0 ). A month after I bought mine, it became cheaper by 50 bucks.

The reason I bought a Canon was because Canon can both rechargeable and regular AA batteries. I have been able to get over 40 shots of the best quality PICS on one set of 4 Energizer batteries – cost is less than 10 cents per shot. Right now I am testing the rechargeable batteries that I bought ((batteries, charger, tripod and a bag – 50 bucks)) and I have gotten about 55 shots.. If I go camping/fishing in the middle of no where for a week, I can afford to bring at least 5 battery sets of AA – with rechargeable I would not be able to afford it (at a minimum of $50.00 per set).

The pixel count does matter up to a certain point. You do not know what you will use your camera for or how. Buy the best you can afford within limits.

There is something that was not mentioned by anyone. A 2.0 pixel count may be good for a 5 x 7 print. But if you need to crop your PIC, then the 5 x 7 print from a 2.0 after the crop may not be of good quality – you may then need a 3.0 or 4.0.

The A80 also has that special screen that one can pull out and rotate it in various angles – very handy.

Do not buy a camera from one of those chains as FS. They do not set the prices. Places like H-E-N-R-Y-S (where I bought mine and there are 2 around Ottawa) do and they provide service and knowledge before and after you step out the front door.

Buy what you can afford and like the others have said, the Canon A60, A70, and A75 are excellent cameras and you will not be sorry if you buy one.

One thing more, the “A” series of Canon cameras are not small in size. But I like a larger camera. I do not like holding a tiny camera by my finger tips. But you will not go wrong with Olympus, Canon or Nikon.

Go to this address and you will find digital camera “GUIDES”.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/dept.a ... 26+Imaging

Sorry that the e-mail address is so long....

Good luck and I hope you will get what you are looking for.

carp-starter
Chrome_A_Saurus
Participant
Participant

Post by Chrome_A_Saurus »

I could not have said it better myself Carp-starter

I won the cannon A-70 and had the A-60 before it but as you said the A-60 is only 2 megapixels and not great if you want to blow up pics. but awsome shots 5x7

I have nothing but good things to say about the cannon A-70

Cannot say much more as Like I said carp-starter covered it but here is a site you may want to check into

http://www.dpreview.com/

independant reviews from thousands of people ... I depth reviews from experts... including tests ... side by side comparisons...pricings ... advatages and siadvantages.... I could go on and on with what this site has to offer

Hope it helps

Cheers

Chrome
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

:lol: Chrome_A_Saurus that's the website i based my decision on to get an A70 and they were right on the money. TroutSlayer great pictures there btw... very impressive !
bts
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Thanks

Post by bts »

Thanks for all the great information everybody. Still shopping, but because

of all the help from Hawktalkers I am now only slightly confused!!!!!!!!!
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey BTS i use a Cannon A60...it great for what we would use it for....the easyer to use the better...we're not photographers,nor want to be....i need a camra to take a few pics of fish and some of the Grand kids....the Cannon A60 fits all the bills...
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lucannus »

My Camera - HP PhotoSmart 715 - The easiest camera to work in the world. And also takes some of the best shots ever.

For the guy/gal who likes point and click. Its a winner. No hundred of features. Click Good picture. click good picture!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

bts,

I have used a Fuji "FinePix" digital camera for the past 2-1/2 yrs. I LOVE IT. It's a 2.0 mega pixels w/ an 6X optical zoom. It takes awesome, clear pic's, is simple to operate & compact for travel / storage. I use rechargeable batteries (worth the extra $ expense) as I take TONS of photo's: kids, fish, kids, fish.....! :roll:

Digital cameras are well worth the investment, and there is a broad range of features and price ranges to choose from. They're more affordable now than they were a few years back.

Good luck.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Took me a while to reply to this too.

A 2 Mega Pixel will print with no loss of quality up to 8 x 12. So go from there.

A factor to consider is the size of the lens. For some reason, they tend to build digital cameras like they are made for spies or KGB agents. Since they are so small, the result is often a small lens that cant capture light very well.

SlushPuppy said:
I use mine mostly for wildlife and nature shots, so I got a 10X optical zoom with stabilizer. Unfortunately, they don't make it anymore
This camera has the features SlushPuppy is talking about. It is my camera. It is a little expensive, but great quality.
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html
The adjustable flash intensity is a fantastic feature. No more mega glare on people's faces.

Rechargeable batteries are a must since large zoom cameras are pigs. Other usefull accessories are 256 Meg memory card (it comes with a 32 Meg) and a card reader so you don't have to plug the camera to the computer, simply put the card in the reader wich acts as an extra drive on your computer. A small dry bag (the type you use for canoeing) is nice to keep the camera in the boat. Put a pack of silica gel in the bag to kill moisture (you can get them at camera store or in the box next time you buy shoes :D ).

Sorry for the long post and let us know what you buy.
Xenos
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Xenos »

The A70 rocks.