Madawaska/Arnprior

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Half-hitch
Participant
Participant

Madawaska/Arnprior

Post by Half-hitch »

Once again I seek the collective wisdom that is Fishhawk.

Given Wendover will be abuzz with tourney boats this Sat, I was considering new waters....potentially Madawaska lake via the Claybanks launch. Is this launch a problem? What about all the stump fields I hear about? We're interested in targeting bass - is this a decent body of water or are there better alternatives?
Dcaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Dcaster »

Good day, The launch should be no problem's for you no matter what you drive. As far as bass, there are lots of bass there smallies and largies, however there are also a crap load of muskie there. I fished this area all the time last year and was 100% happy with the fish landed. Also if you don't have to much luck just load up and head 5-10 minutes down the road to white lake where you'll also find bass. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Oh ya and stump field.....never heard of it.....this water is really deep, I would say if you can't see it your most likely alright.
Mr Twister
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Mr Twister »

great spot for Bass :wink:
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

was there lasst week and got a few nice smallies. The launch is nice packed gravel, but I did have to back in quite a ways to get my 14' to float off the trailer (the front tires of my truck were in a foot or two of water)

The stump field....you cant miss it, coming from clay banks its just after the bridge on the left (north) side.

I'll be heading there tomorrow morning I'll post how I make out.

Cheers,
Wishing I was fishing
Half-hitch
Participant
Participant

Post by Half-hitch »

Thanks for the input guys.

Looking forward to the report marc!
MTF
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MTF »

Half-hitch wrote:Thanks for the input guys.

Looking forward to the report marc!

Went this morning from 7-noon. targeted walleye the first 3 hours, marked some big ones but only caught two small ones, plus a huge crappie and a mooneye all in 45-50 FOW. spent the last hour and a bit pitching tubes and slash baits for bass..got a handfull of tiny smallies and one at about 2lbs, and 1 LM bass about the same size

All in all not the most productive day, but it was a nice morning to be out on the water.
Wishing I was fishing
Joey Rat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Lake Madawaska, aka the Head Pond

Post by Joey Rat »

It's a great body of water and just about the closest thing to the man made reservoirs in states. There is some deep water and there is some shallow water very close to that deep water. The small island on the way to the bridge is a very large shoal. Also if you run up towards the dam near Hwy 17 make the left turn toward the dam as the bay straight ahead is very shallow.

I've never had any problems but it's spooky when you are in 80 ft of water and check the finder a few seconds later only to see you are in 4 feet of water.

As mentioned there are a variety of fish, walleye, mooneye, crappie, largies, smallies, some pike and the mighty muskie.

I have caught 4 lb bass and a 46" muskie on the Head Pond.

Enjoy, I may try and get back up there this week myself.
I'm just another beer drinker with a fishing problem!