OK Now....What type of Downriggers are you using?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

OK Now....What type of Downriggers are you using?

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Hello gang!

Just curious what everyone might have to say about their downriggers. I'll be purchasing a pair shortly and am trying to figure out what type to get, Scotty. Big-Jon, Cannon or what.

Electric are expensive but are they worth it? What are the benefits? I found Markus' manual ones very easy to handle and operate.

Markus, where'd you get those clips for the cheater line? Are they readily available do you know?

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone who currently, or has had in the past, any of these brands. Am I forgetting a brand maybe?

Thanks Guys and Gals!
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Well it's kinda funny as when i first got my boat the first thing i did was take the two walker downriggers off and put them in storage.. i remember thinking to myself "when the heck am i ever gonna use them".

Well now they're back out of storage and i've got myself a pair of weights and some releases :lol: :lol: It just goes to show you never throw or sell anything as maybe one day you'll need it.

The ones i have are just regular manual walker downriggers although i don't see myself fishing very deep and if i ever do it won't be too often. I know big-o has a nice pair of electrics again walkers.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Downriggers

Post by jsdx »

There was an older thread on downriggers here -> http://www.fish-hawk.net/phpBB-2.0.2/ph ... sc&start=0

I use a Scotty Propak which you can see mounted on my princecraft ...
I only have one (despite the "safety" concern having "only one" and thus an unbalanced boat :wink: )... other side has the kicker. Works for me. I can run two rods although most of the time we run one and take turns.

Gravity feed for down and electric for up. I'd recomment it as a fine unit. I have a mount where you can easily remove the downrigger when no using it so it doesn't get tempted to walk away on its own...

ReL Hand crank vs electric - If you go 100+ feet down often (lakers) I would not recommend hand cranks. Ok for infrequent use but I find them tiring after a while. If however you have a teenage son or daughter who needs to "build character" , by all means get a manual one and "you know who" job is to crank it up ...

John
Last edited by jsdx on Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scum Frog
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Scum Frog »

We have a pair of Big Jon "Big Water" Downriggers on the boat.

We use them for Lake Trout and occasionaly Walleye.

The Big Water Manual
features:

20 in. aluminum J-rod

Adjustable disc clutch

4 in. x 4 in. mounting plate
w/ four hold down knobs

Bright, protective
anodized finish

Single aluminum rod holder

Footage counter

200 ft. of stainless
steel cable

Line release included
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

I have to agree with Jsdx...electric are great....the last time out had a pile of false releases ...if I had to hand crank them in....well lets say there might have been more bottom Structure :wink: if you are rigging along and do get a release you can fight the fish and have the cable coming up and out of the way at the same time..Wig.. I think I paid $1400.00 for the pair including mounting ( disconect type mounting) and wiring ....
They are Walker tourny pro model...somthing ...with four foot boom

Jsdx....becareful....having a unbalanced boat could be dangerous....ask Lake Trout :wink:
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

It is very important to have a balanced boat when dealing with D.Rigging. I've got the Scotty pro pack. The Old Guy and I on our last trip had 2 x double hitters.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Nice picture LakeTrout.. You have to agree visually it's a great way to fish.. It jsut looks the biz :wink:
Tomcat
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Downriggers

Post by Tomcat »

I have used a compact Scotty Depthmaster 1050 for 3 years now and am quite satisfied with its functionality. I required something portable as we routinely use outfitter boats and motors. While my experience doesn't relate to permanently mounted downriggers, I post only to indicate my satisfaction with a Scotty product.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

If you fish alone the electrics are definitely the way to go, when playing a fish I like to get the riggers and lines out of the water to avoid wrapping up in them, I'm a novice that hasn't mastered the keep fishing while landing fish techniques. Just curious but a lot of you guys rig for Walleye, I haven't had the chance to yet. With rigging you lose the feel you have when you troll with your fishing rod in hand, something I like when Walleye fishing, do you use light releases or some other method to detect bites? Laketrout taught me somethings her but without 2 guys in the boat I think you could miss a lot of hits.
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Laketrout wrote:It is very important to have a balanced boat when dealing with D.Rigging. I've got the Scotty pro pack. The Old Guy and I on our last trip had 2 x double hitters.
Laketrout,

I was able to convince my wife that I was unbalanced but it didn't get me a second downrigger. :D What the secret ?
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

jsdx wrote:I was able to convince my wife that I was unbalanced but it didn't get me a second downrigger. :D What the secret ?
DIAMONDS!!!!! :cry:

Karack
Laketrout
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Laketrout »

jsdx wrote:
Laketrout wrote:It is very important to have a balanced boat when dealing with D.Rigging. I've got the Scotty pro pack. The Old Guy and I on our last trip had 2 x double hitters.
Laketrout,

I was able to convince my wife that I was unbalanced but it didn't get me a second downrigger. :D What the secret ?
An Iron Fist :wink: :wink: :wink:
Wall-I-Guy
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wall-I-Guy »

Thanks for the responses guys, I'm leaning to electric but, after buying a boat (when I eventually do), finances may dictate different :shock: