Pulling a trailer

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Pulling a trailer

Post by Hoser »

I'm a bit reluctant to pull the bassboat any distance behind my Corsica. Seems to me the tranny isn't made for a heavy load like that. True or false?
Rider23
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rider23 »

I have pulled a trailer from Ottawa to St.John's NFLD and back with my wife's Corsica and never had a problem and I used it to tow my boat about 10 times last summer and its a 4 cyl.. if you don't have a weak tranny and you be NICE to it it will last without a problem.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Check out the owners manule ,for the towing capicity of your car...find out the gross wieght of your boat Motor and gear....and that will give you your answer....trannie coolers are always recommended when towing .....Remmeber its better to be safe than sorry
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I am pulling a boat/trailer combo that trailers at an estimated 2500lbs with my Montana. Is it ideal, no. Does it get me to the launch, so far.

Would like to get to an oil cooler and tranny cooler soon. Actually would like to get a big fat gas guzzlin' truck. (I miss my old ford)

M.T. Livewell
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

I totally agree with big-o. Look in your owners manual for your maximum towing capacity as well as your maximum tongue weight. Also check which class of hitch you have. Transmission cooler is a must unless you have a huge engine. If your pulling an 18' Bass boat with a 150 HP motor, I think your stressing your tranny as well as your engine, especially if your travelling roads that are hilly. Car manufacturers are now very picky about this. In their owners manuals they specificaly state that if you pull anything that surpasses the recommended maximum weight load you void your warranty and they will not cover the cost to repair the damage. Hope this helps. Good Luck! 8)
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

Hey Hoser,

I also agree with Big-O and DV_8. Check out your owners manual and Trannie coolers are cheap and well worth while.

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553