Finally put the new baitcaster to good use

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Finally put the new baitcaster to good use

Post by FireFox »

Hey Guys n Gals,

Thought that I would post this picture of a nice Largemouth that I managed to catch last night on Mississippi lake. I got a new baitcasting rod this spring and up to this point in the season, I wasnt having much luck with it - I ws catching fish, but mostly on my light action spinning rod that I was so used to using.

Last night the wind was blowing pretty good on the Mississippi, and there wasnt much action working spinnerbaits and shallow crankbaits around the weed edges, so to escape the wind and try something different, we headed straight into the thick stuff. I had never caught a fish on a "bass" plastic worm/critter before - I never seemed to get any interest in them. This evening was to be different however. I tied on a Bass Assassin Texas Shad that my buddy had, Texas style, and started sending it into the pockets. Well, it didnt take long until this beauty grabbed the bait and man did it fight. Think I must have had 1/2 pound of weeds and slop come in with the fish too. Awesome, just awesome. I managed one other bass, smaller than this one and one very nice black crappie on the same lure before it got dark.

I dont have many soft worm type plastics in my box and I was hoping you guys might have soem suggestions as to what choices might best outfit me with the basics for this kind of fishing. Any tips you have to share would also be appreciated - its so different than the pickerel fishing that I grew up with - I have so much to learn I think.

Thanks

Fox

big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Fox

Good report....I think I know exactly where you are in the photo....fished there plenty of times....for great advise on plastic ...give Ed at Paddletales a call...he will give you some great advise and let you know whats working or not...if you get a chance drop by his tackle shop...
He will show how to rig'em and work em
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

Way to go Firefox, very nice.

If you are looking for Bass Assassin, just run up the lake to Baitcasters, they have a great selection. Crystal will put you on to the hot colours.

M.T. Livewell
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

And yet another one hooked on the slop fishin. Firefox, great feeling pulling them bass out of the weeds after you feel that.....kkkaaajjunk.

Now if you're looking to purchase some plastics, you might want to check into a second mortgage or something cause there are soooooo many of them out there. If I were to recommend a few I would probably start out with.
- 7" Black Powerworm (I'm not sure why people use anything else)
- Black or White Jerk Shad
- Tubes (any color). Look for the ones with the good strong tips on them. They last longer in the bush.
- Sinkos. I like the dark colors (black, blue, green)

Any of this stuff can be purchased at any of the local shops depending on where you are. If you're on the Mississippi, then you can swing by Bait Casters. They are right on the lake. If not, you might want to try Paddletales in Winchester. If your in the Manotick area, check out Manotick Bait and Tackle. They've all got em and are more than willing to set you up with what you need.

Great job in the grass. I look forward to more reports in the future.
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Big-O : Yeah, I think that quite a few people on this board could guess the place where I managed to catch this fish. I have fished this section before without much luck, but it always looks so good.

I will have to get out to Ed's store someday - I bought the baitcast rod and reel off him at the Carp show, but didnt really get too much of a chance to talk about technique.

MT: Actually, we launched and Baitcasters and made the long trek across the lake at the warp speed that a 9.9 can run... I think we need to find some spots closer to the BC launch - it can eat up a lot of time this way. And the Bass Assassins actually did come from Crystals stock - definately will look into getting some myself.

Fox.
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Bobber : You better beleive it. When the line takes off in a big swirl and you can just feel the thump-thump of the fish taking off into the thick stuff. Gotta love it. Im so hooked - lol. I know Im not the only one, especially in these parts.

thanks for the tips on the basics for worm fishing. I have tonnes of plastics that are designed for pickerel fishing - 3-4 inch grubs, tubes, and jig plastic, but those are a totally different ballgame than the bass worms and ilk. I did a little looking into the Bass Assassins and similar lures suggestions on howto fish and it tuns out that I was not fishing them the way they were designed. Oh well - the fish didnt seem to notice, and it sure put a big league smile on my face.

Fox