Headpond (Arnprior) Lastnight

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Smitty
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Headpond (Arnprior) Lastnight

Post by Smitty »

Hey Guys

I was out on the headpond near Arnprior lastnight and the bass where really active..but we where fishing walleye...

We found a nice transition area with a steep drop from 4 feet to 25 feet...the fish where holding along the steep ridge - water temp was around 70.

We where using minnows and jigs - between 2 guys we caught 15 smallmouth, 4 walleye and a huge 15 pound catfish....it was a great night of fishing...those catfish are really powerful - I thought I was stuck on bottom - till it started to move....my Ugly stick really took a workout on him.

Sam
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hey Sam

where abouts was the drop Off. near the boat Launch(Clay Banks)...you say the Smallie's were down in and around 25'???? TKS in advance
Smitty
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Smitty »

Hi Big O

I am not sure how well you know the head pond - but as you head out from the clay banks launch - go up to the left - before the power lines - towards Stewartville....go maybe 1km - and there is huge shoal that is on the right side of the river....it gets really shallow - so be careful - I went from 35 feet to 2 feet in about 3 seconds...my prop got a little dinged up.

It is a long shoal - about 500 yards or more long...and maybe 50 yards wide.

We fished the outside edge in 26 feet of water - and we casted up on the shelf and just dragged the jigs off the shelf...caught all the smallmouths this way - I actually caught a perch and halfway in a smallmouth took the perch....I had both of them until he jumped and spit the perch out....the biggest smallmouth was about 2 pounds but they where really strong.

Let me know if you find the area and if you need more info.

good luck
Sam
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Sam i'd have to guess if you continue up in that direction you'd hit the dam eventually.. I seem to remember seeing that shoal on my way through.. 25ft+ either side and about 3ft ontop.
Smitty
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Smitty »

thats the one - yes if you keep going up the river you eventually come out at the dam in Stewartville....it is a nice trip up through there in the fall....trolling for the musky.
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Hi Sam

I worked the flat last saturay....but not the drop Off :oops: ...next time up it will be on the top of my list....thanks for the info :D
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

head

Post by Jigs »

Sam;

Good ol ugly stick.

Regards: Jigs. :)