How Deep is Musky ?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Crawler
Participant
Participant

How Deep is Musky ?

Post by Crawler »

I have been trolling for Musky from 8 feet to 30 feet of water with no success. Could someone tell me how deep I have to troll? Thanks.

A Musky virgin !
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

7 feet and up or below 30 :lol:
Cancatchbass
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Moose!

Post by Cancatchbass »

Moose- :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SDB- you're likely in the right depths- keep trying!

CCB
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

You are in the right depths, but the most important part is the depth of your lures. Try trolling spinnerbaits in 5-10 feet around weeds for a while and shallow eyed Believers in 10-20 feet for another while.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin

Post by Guest »

have caught them in 2 feet and in 90...
Simmer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Simmer »

there's probably better theories than this, and it won't help, but it made sense to me when i heard it. an avid muskie angler told me: When your the top predator in the lake, and the meanest lookin thing that swims, where do you go .... whereever the hell you want!
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Too many variables to say for sure

Post by Seaweed »

There are just too many variables to say that muskie are at one depth and not another. Basically I find that to effectively fish a body of water for muskie you need to cover the water and do your homework. Watch your graph closely you will see these fish... they definetely throw a big signature up on the screen.

I usually try fast trolling the drop off of most lakes... that way I cover some water and at least mark where a few big signatures were and can come back and work those areas later.

I am still on a big learning curve when it comes to these big toothy critters... but I find that eventually if I put in enough time I find a fish.

I love the challenge even more than catching the fish sometimes. It keeps me reading and learning more about these fish. They are totally different from anything else out there. They are also highly addictive.

The thrashing that the last fish I caught put up was worth every moment of searching I put in to figuring out how to catch her. :wink:
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

The depths seems right, keep your speed down to 5 - 10 mph max. try some different lures, and go get em!

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI studubest

i caught my 48 inch one yesterday in 12 foot wit a belever,nere treadwel
and my friend caught a 51 inch in gatineau in a patche off weed in 3
feet off water wit a jerbait,,,,,,,,,,,,

just try evrything,,,,,, spinerbait at hi speed,,,,,,,,beliver low speed