nickname origins

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

nickname origins

Post by Hoser »

Jigs and I were talking today on the boat about the various nicknames on this forum and I figured there was probably an interesting story behind most of them. His comes from a cartoon character that loved cornbeef and cabbage...crackers real name is graham, self explanatory (sorry if I let the cat out of the bag guys :D ) One of my clients figured I was constantly overcharging him and started calling me a hoser. Anybody game to jump in and explain?
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

Here is a another thread that was on earlier

http://www.fish-hawk.net/phpBB-2.0.2/ph ... php?t=3920
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

I participated in an online fantasy hockey league and called my team Slushpuppies (ice hockey on soft ice). I liked the name so I used it here. Sorry, has nothing to do with the shaved ice with syrup treat.
tinbanger
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tinbanger »

Missed the first thread ,Tinbanger is not related to my job.
Refers to me running an old ' blunt nosed' 14 ' Springbok aluminum with 40 hp on Lake Simcoe .
Always a chop on that Lake!

Tinbanger

Post by Guest »

mine is because some say I an not sane and my love for fishing and fighting (boxing / MMA)
AverageAngler
Participant
Participant

Post by AverageAngler »

I got mine from our web site..averageanglers. No crazy story behind it! Sorry ta let ya down!
Cheers'
-AA-
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

When I opened my tackle store I threw paddletail worms at everything, hence the store name. It is spelled the way it is because of my fondness of telling tales. Shortly after, however,I discovered tubes, and soon started throwing tubes at everything. One day, on the Big Rideau, I was fishing with Pete Maccormack, and having a REALLY good day with tubes. After catching a 4lber, Pete said you are the tube king, the tube master no, wait, the Toobinator. It stuck.

Ed
Last edited by toobinator on Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gord
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by Gord »

I've been playing NTN trivia for about 5 years ond usethe handle "bowzog". I can't remember how I came up with it. Slushpuppy thinks it's gozwob spelled backwards. :lol: :lol:
I'm a goin' fishin', mama's goin' fishin' and my baby's goin fishin' too.

.......Taj Mahal.... "Fishin' Blues"
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Not a great sorty but it's mine.

My name is Jonathan and almost immediately people start calling me Jon. That bugs the crap out of me so I shortened it to J as a dare to people to shorten that.

Mr.J. is something I've been called for most of my life (age 18+ now 41)

Boring but that's my story and I am sticking to it.
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

Last name Bunker.

Most people always called me Bunk, Bunks or Big Bunks. My little brother was always Bunks or Little Bunks.

Not living in Perth anymore I now reside in Moose Factory in the Moose Township. Hence MOOSEBUNK.

I was going to post here as "GARchie LUNKER" but thought that the name was bigoted and hard to catch...... on. :roll:
Canadian Bacon
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Canadian Bacon »

I was out fishin a couple of years ago...Previous to that I had nicknames like Spanky and Flakey Jr. but on this particular day I was fishin with a buddy of mine who like me is also ample n girth :) . He was the pilot of his small craft but was still quite new to boating and the curtosy you need to show to others boaters when fishing. We were on the Bonnechere River near Golden lake (no trolling motor) we started to kinda drift towards this older fella and pretty much invaded his space all the time I was sayingwe should be moving that guy is gonna be pee pee. Just as i was about to say...Sorry fella we drifted a little quicker than we meant to...didn't mean to crowd you...He startd yellin obsenities at us and threatening our lives...I am not kidding!!! So, I am not one to get angry very often but this touchrd a nerve very quickly and I barked back...Well we're not leavin now..we were gonna but forget it!!! The lures started to be thrown our way and I retaliated...I put on a frenzy and started aiming right for him. I would have definately got him a few times but still had the sense to thumb it so it would only scare him..but the thought of snaggin him really did enter my mind. Well he called us every fat name in the book and as i was barking back at him he told me I had better shut it or he would make Bacon out of me. At that point I kinda laughed...this guys was quite a bit older....I said ok enough is enough..lets get out of here...
We took off went back to camp and told our Story...As we were describing this guy it was mentioned by the land owner that this guy was crazy and is know for caudsing trouble and don't be surprised if he shows up armed!!! As the night went on we laughed about the story and it got more and more interesting...LOL...the Boys started calling me Bacon all night and Canadian somehow got added....and Voila.....my new name!
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

hey moosbunk....good thing you moved. perthbunk would not have had the same the same pizzaz
moondog
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by moondog »

I do a lot of hunting and fishing. In the winter we always chase around foxes and coyotes. Basically-I'm always outside and just love full moon nights. NO i don't grow hair all over my body and some fangs when the moon is full!! MOONDOG is a nickname for a coyote(wolf).
TroutSlayer
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by TroutSlayer »

I once slayed a trout (in self defence).
Cheers,
TS
Bobber
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bobber »

Real Name.....Rob, Robert, Bob, or Bobbie....sometimes referred to as "unca wobbie"

Nickname.....Bobber

I like fishing for 5lb bass in the deepest of weeds and slop....with a bobber.....and a red devil. :P
:lol:

Actually, name just kinda fit when I was looking for a sidekick name to go along with Fishhawk.

The Great Canadian Adventures of Fishhawk and Bobber

was how it went at one time. I think we've dropped that now, since our adventures are not only about us......but about you too!
Rob Atkinson
Site Admin (retired)