Rough Night

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Bottoms Up
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Rough Night

Post by Bottoms Up »

Hit the Rideau River along Carleton U tonight for a few flicks but next to no luck. Plucked out 2 Tiny Smallies but other than that it was a rough night.
Darkness set in before we could make it any furthur up river towards the falls. Has anyone heard of any Eyes in the pools around the bottom of the falls ?? I was thinking of heading there over the weekend. I noticed that the water levels were pretty low so that could of been why there wasn't much action.
Gordo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Gordo »

Hey Bottoms Up,

RJ and I fished that same area a few times this year without any real luck either.

Gordo
Gord

NPAA#553
jsdx
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by jsdx »

Has anyone heard of any Eyes in the pools around the bottom of the falls ?? ... I noticed that the water levels were pretty low so that could of been why there wasn't much action.
I found when the water is low, the walleye are found right at the base of the falls. Lots of smallmouth too. I usually fish it from the 'illegal side" where you can be fined 100 bucks for tresspassing. Its the only way to get right up to the base of the main falls.

The mail pool itself can be fished from both sides and has walleye too. Drag a jig on bottom very slowly and you should see some.
Bottoms Up
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Bottoms Up »

Thanks for the input fellas ! I'll give the pools a shot sometime soon.
I'll keep you posted !
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

If you're going with live bait, your best bet is to go with minnows around dusk or later. I had a 22" eye below the falls the week before bass season opened. Caught it using a semi-transparent purple soft plastic minnow, #2 circle hook and just enough splitshot to get it down.

I've also been told that the Moonies Bay side of the locks can been good for eyes as well.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."