Musky Bait?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
devy
Participant
Participant

Musky Bait?

Post by devy »

Went for my first time ever and fished the Ottawa River around the Duck Islands Region.

Spent around 4 hours on the water around 10. Result 1 smallie and one 16 walleye missing some dorsal fins and a nice set of teeth marks around its sidesImage

Its the first time in a long time where I caught a walleye marked up as such (Used to fish around Hartley Bay on the French River and would pull up small "pickerel" or rock bass with the same markings)

Not too much action for me but then I was more of "scouting out" the areas and trying to become familiar with the terrain.

What is hell is that structure just off between the 2 islands?. An old shoal beacon or lighthouse? Noticed that there is quite a shoal around it.

thanks for everyones suggestions/info for helping me. If anyone wishes to fish Mississippi Lake some time and if I am free, let me know...my boat usually stays in the Perth Area.

Post by Guest »

Did you catch your fish around that structure? I used to fish there alot and we caught some walleye ans sauger there. Nice little stretch of the river..
devy
Participant
Participant

Post by devy »

That's the spot where I caught the walleye.
I had tried lots of other areas looking for structure and dropoffs without any luck. Noticed that some guys were catching bass near the island.

Anyway, I will have to try to explore some more someday (As I will be moving to Gatineau this fall)

That's what fishing is about..trying new regions, new spots, exploring.

:D
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Muskie Bait

Post by Seaweed »

I saw the same markings on some incidental Largemouth Bass I caught while fishing for muskie in the Madawaska Head Pond. I thought it was a problem with the skin on the fish until I caught one with the unmistakable full circle mouth pattern where it had held the fish. It is amazing that these fish survive being grabbed by muskie. I guess they must escape when the muskie lossens up and trys to turn the fish head-first to swallow them. This is usually the moment I choose to set the hook and pull the sucker minnow away from the toothy critters ..... :oops: