Good Old Days

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
doublest
Participant
Participant

Good Old Days

Post by doublest »

This is a story I would like to share and see if anyone else may have had a similar experience way back when.
Back in the mid 1960's, I was fortunate enough to be invited to go on a fishing trip with a neighbor from here in Ohio to Rice Lake. One day after lunch, we were sitting out on the dock, when a Piper Super Cruiser appeared overhead, circled us a couple of times, landed on the lake and taxied up to the dock where we were sitting. We struck up a conversation, and after some discussion, the pilot whose name I can't remember( he was from Peterborough) asked if we would be interested in an overnight fly in trip. once he got to the price and possibilities, it was all over. He offered a one day in next day out trip for the species of our choice for the grand sum of $25.00. We immediately said yes, and next day about midmorning, he returned to pick us up. We were not told the destination, but at the time, I was doing some flying, and figured that we were heading N.E.Based on the Piper's cruising speed on that heading, I figured we were probably in Algonquin somewhere. The lake we picked held only small mouth , and hundreds of them. I would guess the lake was about 7,000 to 10,000 acres and had apparently been an old logging site,as there were hundreds of old lay downs around the edge of the lake. We literally caught a smallmouth on every cast for hours on end.The pilot had constructed a frame with canvas stretched around and over it for a primitive shelter on an island in the middle of the lake. He had dug a hole in the ground with a wooden lid on it to serve as a refrigerator for the food we carried in. We spent an overnight with the skeeters and the songs of thousands of bullfrogs chugging their tunes and at noon the next day he flew back to pick us up and return us to reality at Rice Lake and eventually we had to return to Ohio.
Last edited by doublest on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lapointeric
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by lapointeric »

Wow. That sounds like a plan. I'm IN!

:D

Must have had some serious bass thumb after that weekend.

E
C5
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by C5 »

musta been hard to squeeze three into the super cub:) sounds like fishing was worth the skeeters!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Surely, that is a memory to last a lifetime (it's survived since the 60's, and if it's still in your noggin from that decade, then I'd say it's good to go for the rest of your life). :wink:

Must have been one amazing, pristine lake with zero pressure. What a fantasy fishing dream come true, even if only for a day.

Thx for sharing that neat story.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
MLR
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by MLR »

My good ol' days were back when I was a kid and my grandfather would come and pick me up at the end of the lane before the bus could pick me up and go fishing.

We would both get in trouble that night when he dropped me off.
slop
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by slop »

Interesting account doublest.

Thanks for sharing this!
If Winnipeg gets a hockey team, Toronto will want one too.....