First Muskie

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

First Muskie

Post by saskie »

Went fishing with Trophy Muskie yesterday in the Muskie Canada event out of Wendover/Treadwell. It was a great time. We started casting off a weedbed...a few minutes pass, long enough for the initial excitement to wear off and the two of us are chatting - meaning I'm not paying very close attention to what's going on (I can see the real Muskie fishermen smiling already) when BANG! The 10in topwater I'm chugging across a weedbed stops DEAD! in the water amid an explosion of froth, spray and fin - and then nothing. I make a belated, futile effort to set the hook but it's too late.
"Was he on or did he just make a pass at it?" TM asks.
"He was on, I missed him" I reply sheepishly. :oops:
"Don't worry, he was only a dink anyway - barely over 30inches" I gave him a funny look, never having heard a 30" anything refered to as a dink before. :shock:

TM had a follow a while later, but casting seemed to be off, so we went trolling we had another fish on, it shook off. A few hours later we finally connect a land one beautifully coloured 25" baby - not big at all but it gave me my first look a real Muskie in person. A few minutes later the drag starts screaming and this time we had a real fish on. Best of all it was my drag that was screaming. With some great patience and coaching TM guides me through the fight, and tried his best to hide his disappointment with the size of my fish - a 38incher - barely worth mentioning but still big enough to make my previous biggest fish - a 33in pike look puny. :D

We barely got our lines reset and bang I had another strike - this one was smaller another 29inch dink, but I'm getting used to hearing that by now. That was the last of our excitement. We may have had another hit just before the buzzer, but whatever it was - fish or log didn't hook up.

At the supper afterwards I found out why TM was unimpressed wih my 38" - there were plenty of smaller fish landed that day, including one smaller than TM's 25" but the average fish was over 40", and the winner, none other than our very own Hawk-Talker Joco with a 48".
I was in awe - but again the real Muskie guys were disappointed that no +50 fish had come in. :shock:

Thanks a million to Trophy Muskie for his assistance and patience. Congrats again to Joco for taking biggest fish honours and also to Muskies Canada for a great event, and their efforts to preserve this magnificent fish.
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

Dave, great job landing 2 fish your first day out targeting them. That's some good points for the bassturds.

Yes we got into the dinks big time but I was happy to see you catch your first and second muskie your first time out, many have spent weeks, month and even years trying. It's a better thing that that first hit you got was a small one as missing a pig hurts big time.

Now you have to break the 40 inch barier, maybe even casting. :P
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

Thank you guys :oops:

It was my bigest musky for NOW :wink: ,
its start at 6.30 am went to wendover for 2 h after that i went back
past treadwel start troling for about 30 min , and bang head chake
and all ,it was realy somthing for me, ( i am a begener to )
real it to the boat, was realy nerves did not want to loose it , i was
alone in the boat , but there was a boat close to me 2 more guys
frome musky canada , they ask if they could help , YES i think its a
nice one ,big one, so they come next to me , and one off theme
(greg) jump on my boat, and help me , net it (have a big beckman net)
after ,we ad to cut one treble hook ,the fish was always in the water
in the big net, after that take out off the net, about 5 sec , took 4 picture
1 in the net 3 more out off the water ,,,,,, and back in water ,
help the fish to recuperate and bang big tail flap and go, chake hands
and sheers YES,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

48 inch by 20 girth

imagine this today (this morning) went to develope my picture
frome yesterday big musky :cry: my kodac, the film was finish
before we took the picture, my guirl friend took picture 2 day before
and did not tell me , i taught they was some still in :cry: .......

no pictur off the musky, I WAS EXTREMELY SAD' MY BIGEST MUSKY
NO PICTURE, i hope i will catch a nother one like this :cry:

SO if you go musky fishing bring sombody and chek your stuff and bring 2
camera with you..................

ONE GOOD THING there was greg wit me and is parkner and one more boat by us ,, so they are the only persone that can testefy my catch
and i am very greatful for greg to jump in my boat to help me :)

congratulation SASKIE for your fish;

congrad,,,,,,,,,, to everybody there yesterday.............

HI to you trophymuskie :wink: see you this week ,,

take care guys :P

joco 8)
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hey saskie mabe we could get together togo musky fishing one day
we could go get us a couple off 50 inch musky :wink:

take care saskie,,,,,,,,,,,,and have a great season :P

joco 8)

Post by Guest »

Congrats to all the guys at the Muskies Canada outing in Treadwell yesterday. It was an extremely well run event, and everyone had a great time. Too bad Richard and I had such lousy luck on the prize draw! We'll clean up at the Can-Am Richard! :)

Here is a pic of the 44" muskie I caught at the outing. The out of water photo shot didn't turn out very well. Just as my girlfriend was snapping this picture, the fish decided she wanted back in the water and thrashed. I cut up my hand pretty bad on the gill-rakes, but that's muskie fishing for you.

She was released to fight another day. Hopefully someone will be posting a picture of this fish in a few years when she is 50+ inches. :)

Crazyhook, the pliers that we got in Pigeon last year to replace the ones you dropped in the water are now on the bottom of the Big O. DOH! I had the joy of removing 3 5/0 trebles from this fish with split-ring pliers. Not a fun predicament! The moral of the story is - "Always tie your pliers to the boat!" :)

Last edited by Guest on Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Anytime Joco !