Anyone else catching skinny fish???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Anyone else catching skinny fish???

Post by fishmaster »

I was out this morning on the Ottawa River for some smallies and I was quite concerned with what I was seeing. I caught alot of fish and they were aggressive but they are extemely skinny. Almost to the point it looks like they are starving. I weighed 3 of them one was 18 inches and only weighed 2lbs 2 oz. one 18.5 inches weighed 2lbs 5 oz. and the biggest was just over 19 inches (my board is only that long) and weighed 3lbs. 2 oz. I would think they should be starting to fatten up but to me it looks like they can't find any food. I didn't see any baitfish anywhere and the water temps were 61-63f. I talked to some walleye fisherman who were out all morning and between 3 boats they never caught a walleye either.Has anyone else noticed this or is it an isolated case? All the fish I caught were like this and I caught them over 12 miles of river so it's not like it was only in one area. I may call the local ministry office on Monday just to let them know in case they want to look into it.