Musky Rod and Reel?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Crawler
Participant
Participant

Musky Rod and Reel?

Post by Crawler »

To all non virgins,

I am looking to buy a Musky Rod and Reel. Any ideas...Shimano, Penn, St-Croix...no idea what to expect from a 55 inch Musky ! Any ideas.

:-)

Post by Guest »

What is your price range? for reel I would go with a standard abu garcia 6500c3, as for Rods I use a few. Loomis and St Croix are good high end models, Shimano Compres are great rods for the money
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

hi studubest you can by st croix loomies shimano cheakspear and now
rapala make a good one (not expensive).......and for the real
go wita good one like he said 6500 abu garcia is good,,,,,,,,,
but look somtimes there is some musky guides that sell some stuff
very good quality at a good price ,,,,,,, so you just have to ask ,
and they will come :P .........

have a great season,,,,,,see you on water.........

joco 8)
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

I would recomend the loomis or the st. croix for a rod and the shimano catala for the reel, not to put down the abu garcia. I just think the shimano is smoother and I really like the drag system! If the abu garcia is the reel you want them you should talk to (MUSKIE HUNTER ) he had some for sale but not sure if he still does.

By the sounds of it your just getting into the muskie fishing, if so don't stop at the rod and reel combo, there is much more you need such as the proper net or craddle , bolt cutters, long nose plyers, proper line and leader's and the one thing I think is most important is how to hadle them properly, and if I left anything out I sure someone else will point it out for you!

There are many others in here that fish muskies and I'm sure they will help you out. Also if you after the 55incher I'm not sure what to expect, but I do know my 47 1/2" last season was a hell of a fight! I know that ( MUSKIE HUNTER ) does this for a living and I'm almost sure that he has caught muskie of this size or maybe even bigger. good luck to you and perhaps you should consider a charter for a day, those guy's know there stuff!

Cheers