John

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
steve-d
Participant
Participant

John

Post by steve-d »

where do ya buy carp rods from in this country? lol
it does, however, look like i'm gonna be back over here, so i might fetch over my armalites and baitrunners for next year.
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Ahhh Armalites.. That's what i have... They're a bit old now but going strong.

Well if you want to get some pretty decent rods without paying a fortune take a run over to Ed's (Paddletales) in winchester.. He has some nice 2 3/4 test 12fters for about $99. Of course you can spend $300+ but they're actually pretty good and i would consdier getting some whenever my trusty armalites bite the dust.
steve-d
Participant
Participant

Post by steve-d »

well, i was thinking of going for the Pike and Muskie the way i would back in England.

12' @ 3/4, hoiking out a nice, live 6" Perch under a clear zeppler pike float.

Or maybe use half mackeral.

I can't get used to these toy 6'6" rods, i nearly cacked myself with the Pike today!!

Oh how i miss my proper gear! lmao
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Steve,

Not to rain on your hopes here, but in Ontario using perch for bait is not permitted, except for the great lakes - and Im not sure if the St. Lawrence counts. Just dont want to see you get in trouble for something like this. Sucker minnows would be a great choice for pike or muskie IMHO.

Oh - MNR bait regs : http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/fishing/bait.html

Fox
Legend
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Come on...

Post by Legend »

:) I can't believe you guys are so hung on the British way of catching fish. My memory isn't that bad, but aren't most British fish "tiddlers" when compared to the North American scene?

I remember the Pike rigs where I used to live in Norfolk. Seems to me, the Pike up in Georgian Bay could probably eat British Pike let alone Muskies!!!

:) Just kidding guys, I know the coarse fishing in Britain is more of a finesse from the banks experience. My grandfather would have nightmares if he had a 20lb Carp on his Roach Pole. Hahaha.

:) Legend

ps. We don't use maggots for bait here either!
steve-d
Participant
Participant

Post by steve-d »

lmao, well today i caught a 31" Pike, and that, by my own standards, is a pretty below average pike.

where i am from in England there is a stretch of river i fish where i can almost guarantee to bank maybe 5x 25lb (i would estimate 35-40") Pike in a couple of hours, my fishing partner has had 2 over 30lb from the same stretch (i can't be sure but i'm sure the larger one was 37lb).
its a spate river, so the Pike are pretty lean and long, compared to the fatties found in british stillwaters! :lol:

i have had Perch to 4lb from the same stretch caught on 6" Roach livebaitS set out for Pike :D

btw, i'm a specimen hunter, not a 'sit on my butt for 4 hours drowning maggots' match angler! :lol:
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

Steve i know how you feel. I think that's why i concentrate on muskie now. The pike i've come across so far over here are what we'd call jacks. A 30" pike is nothing to brag about but i know a few guys who used to catch 20lb+ ones each weekend in the lake district.

I have used techniques i used back in the uk to catch a few fish although as pointed out you have to be careful what you use for bait. I had a 7lb walleye on a large sucker minnow last year from the rideau using a float set-up i used for pike. Unfortunatly the walleye got to it before the muskie did.

Now i'll still fish for pike but i have my heart set on a muskie this year. Last weekend i had two follow me to the boat and they were exactly what i was looking for. Shame the never hit but the day i boat one isn't far off.

I only fished for carp/pike for many many years but now i try for muskie, crappie, bass, and next sat i'm going to try for trout and salmon. We should take advantage of the many species in our area and realise how lucky we really are.

Steve i remember catching some monster perch back home but they have some nice ones here two in places. My suggestion is leave the pike and go for muskie.. that'll be right up your alley.. 50" of pure fighting machine. Still i best not tell you that a carp was caught at 48lb recently around the 1000 islands in a bow hunting tourney.. yeah i know i don't agree with them either but it shows that quality fish are out there.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Ever thought about building your own rod Steve? Find a tackle store that carries blanks or can get them and go from there. It's not hard to do and it is nice to land fish on something you made yourself!
joco
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by joco »

HI GUYSSSSSSSSS

you can get good carp rod at EURO STYLE FISHING
1107 cobden road rd ottawa

he as some good stuff,,,he just recieve new stuff,goo shek it,,,,,,,,

have a great season :wink:

joco 8)
steve-d
Participant
Participant

Post by steve-d »

i have thought about it before, as i have repaired rods before, but i don't think i'd be able to trust them as much as, say, Shimano, Armalite or North Western.
i'll make do for now and post them over when i'm in the UK at the end of the month.

for this last coupla weeks i'm gonna try an concentrate on the stuff i cant catch in the UK, the little stuff and the Cats.

oh and whats this about Gar???