Trolling Motor, which one?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Ricc
Participant
Participant

Trolling Motor, which one?

Post by Ricc »

OK all you experienced trollers out there, I'm going to buy a Minn Kota All Terrain which is a cable control or a Power Drive which is an electronic contol. The PD foot pedel looks like it may be a bit difficult to control but can be operated from anywhere in the boat. For a beginner like me, which one would you recommend and why?
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I have the foot control PD. Its alot more compact than the cable model and yes I find it rather awkward. I'm getting used to it though and prefer it to the cable. Lately I've experimented leaving the side power switch on and using the sliding speed control rather than the foot pedal which has too small of a depressed distance. On "0" the prop dosen't turn. My favourite bow mount motor was an old hand operated model that is hard to find now but is still prefered by many pros. For that reason when I'm standing close to the motor I have a habit of grabbing the top and turning in the direction I want to go. I find it faster and more percise.

One very positive about my new motor is it really chews weeds and its a real mizer on power. I can fish 4 or 5 times between chargings.
Ricc
Participant
Participant

Post by Ricc »

Thanks ganman, I was looking in the "Lets see some Pics" post and there is a boat there with the PD on it and it appears to be mounted very close to the edge of the boat. This is another problem for me, I have a custom canvass cover and by this pic I wouldn't need to have the cover cut. I do plan on buying the quick removal bracket as well and this appears to be able to be mounted right up front and I won't have to wory about customizing the canvas again. The sissor motion of the All Terrain seems much longer, at least at the french store. And yes, I do like the idea of the power mizer business. I suppose all things are second nature when you get use to them.

Post by Guest »

If you find the foot pedal annoying, you can always go to the remote system. It's a small remote control that you can mount on your rod. You can control the motor while you are casting/reeling. Very cool! :)

HW
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I have the quick removal bracket ....good idea. Yes the PD does take up alot less deck space. One thing I wish is that they made the shafts shorter. I have a moderate deep V with the shortest shaft available and I still have way more length than I need. Its a nuisance when fishing shallow water or thick weeds. I've seen the hand held remote. I wonder if anyone has them and what they are like, sure looks nifty but I bet there expensive.

Post by Guest »

Trophy Muskie has one, and seems to like it. I'd ask him if you want more details.

HW
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

The remote system is called co pilot....and it is for Minnkota electric trolling motors...i had one installed this spring...once you get used of it ..it works great :D
glenn
Participant
Participant

Trolling motor

Post by glenn »

Hey Ric, I will throw my 3 cents in this debate. You didn't say what size of boat you have or where you do most of your fishing? It makes a big difference in your choice of motor. I would never recommend purchasing a AT motor unless you have a small boat and fish in small bodies of water with no wind or current to bother you, and you want to fish for only a short period of time. The At motors are inexpensive to purchase and look inviting but the unit does not have a maximizer system. The maximizer gives you alot more time on the water and requires only the power to operate at the speed you choose." At" motors have the same power flow from your battery on speed one as they do on speed five, thus more battery consumption. More importantly the prop rotation on the maximizer motors can be controlled to move at whatever speed you need to face the conditions your fishing. Purchasing the quick diconnect plate is something I always recomend, the damage done to the deck of the boat from someone trying to steal your new motor will far exceed the cost of the plate. It will also solve your cover problem. Hope this helps Glenn
Ricc
Participant
Participant

Post by Ricc »

The boat is a 144 Legend Excite, front casting platform. I fish mostly Georgian Bay and around Parry Sound, Indian Dock Narrows and the South Channel. Trying to control the boat (25 4S) and cast and dodge rocks and control drift and and and and, no, I'm getting a motor. Lots of wind and lots of Bays, a short day on the water is at least 3 hours.
By the sound of things I think my mind is made up, you could see that I was leaning that way, you guys just helped push me over the edge. I also wish it came in a 42" shaft but I guess you have to give a little, take a little. I'll be going for the 40 pounder as well, more than enough for this boat I think, it's all I can afford anyway, an Inter-State Battery is on order as well. Thanks guys, great feedback, this novice really appreciates it.
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Jale »

I have a 55pd on my 14 legend 30 hp. i like the motor-lotsa power and easy to control but keep in mind that electric steer = electric components.

I just had the circuit board replaced on mine and the bill was 260.00 bucks. Motor was just over two years old

not much really can go wrong with the cable steer but i am undecided if i will purchase another just for that reason

good luck
MrJJ
Participant
Participant

Co-Pilot RockS!

Post by MrJJ »

Hey, I've been using the Co-Pilot for about 2 years or so now and I LOVE IT!!! Dont need to worry about where the darn pedal went to... I currently have a 40lb powerdrive on my 2000 Nitro, but find it kind of week. I'll be upgrading to the new 74lbs powerdrive soon. and of course I will have the co-pilot on that one too!