Plastic wormin' tackle

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Plastic wormin' tackle

Post by ganman »

I like fishing texas rigged worms. I started doing so 20 years ago and I still use pretty much the same tackle...6 ft medium stiff baitcaster, 12lbs blue stren, 2/0 or 3/0 hook and a 1/8 or 5/16 sinker and 6-7" worms black, purple, blue Culprits, Mann's Jelly worms etc. Guess I'm kinda stuck in my ways. Open minded to trying something new. Curious what others use.
FLOATFISHIN
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by FLOATFISHIN »

Sounds like the outfit I use aswell.But what you might wanna try is a 10"worm also you can use lizards,slug-o's,senkos,and all other types of plastics in the texas rig form.I will go with a heavier line for I will toss a rig into alot of nasty cover,so I tend to fish a braid or a heavier mono,to avoid the hog breakin me off.

Sound good what you use but also my rods are a bit longer,6 10",and a 7 2" for heavey cover aspects :D

T.L F.F
BASSSTALKER
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by BASSSTALKER »

You have to try Senko's, Wave worms Tiki-sticks, Gulps snking minnow and Yum Dingers. Hook them Wacky rig or Texas.....NO WEIGHTS and a Large Hook. Try it!~!!!!!!!!

BASSSTALKER
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

I like tubes...caught L/M , S/M , Walleye , pike , Cats.....i know guys that have caught muskie....pretty versatile....Ed from Paddletales got me to use them.....made a big differance I used to use Cranks all the time...but was restricked to weedless waters..with the tubes i fish every where on the Rideau...,skim thetube across the moss and drop it into the holes ,flip it , cast it, drag it , let it sit on bottom.... all these methods have caught me fish :D :D :D TKS again ED 8) :D :D :D
DUBIE
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DUBIE »

I'm with Big-o TUBES are the most versatile lure to use.
Northern King
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Northern King »

What type of rig do most use with tube jigs????? I usually use a spinning outfit with a 6'6" medium action rod. I think a may go to a heaver rod for the bigger smallies and largies.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

I use a 5'9" St Croix spinning for in close around cover, and a 6' medium G Loomis for more open water. I find the short rods are more accurite when casting to targets. You have to hookset like a crazed banshee to get enough leverage with the shorter sticks though (crazed banshee???) I spool up with Power pro 20 lb on the 5'9" and 8 lb P line on the 6'

Ed Toobinator Puddephatt
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

I use a 6'6" rod and 14lb line for dunkin and pitchin weedless jigs in heavy cover. Use a similar rod for bigger spinnerbaits, weedless spoons etc. For tubes I use a 6'6" spinning rod with 8 or 10 lb. I'm kinda interested in the different techniques with tubes...lol I have dozens and rarely use'm, usually use a Kalin's grub instead.

I've tried simplifying my bass tackle as its easy to get carried away. Now its a couple 6'6" baitcasters for heavy work, a couple 6 foot baitasters for worms, small spinnerbaits, topwater and Big O's (love Big O's especially white and yiyi) and a couple 6'6" spinning rods for grubs, tubes, minnowbaits. That's 6 rods...not a pro's arsenal but a good versatile mix.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

GanMan

I'm with FloatFishing

I started the very same way with 7"in worm. I love fishing soreline or slop and I was catching fish so I was reluctant trying something else.

Somebody twisted my arm and convinced me to upgrade to 10". Not only did I catch as many fish, I started getting bigger ones.

From that, the smoth transition is to go to a flippin' jig. Then came even bigger fish. Sounds like you have the outfit to handle it. I use a Quantum Tour medium Heavy with a Pulse baitcaster, 17 pound Polychromatic line (fancy name for hi visibility at surface / invisible in water). 1/2 on. flippin jig.

My worming outfit is a Quantum tour medium with Quantum Catalyst spinning reel with Stren 14 pound Super Braid. I'm sold on that line. Whenever my other line goes, it'll be the only line I use.

Then I use a few cheaper outfits for quickly "testing" lure without retying my got to outfits.
Fishhawk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Fishhawk »

toobinator wrote:I use a 5'9" St Croix spinning for in close around cover, and a 6' medium G Loomis for more open water. I find the short rods are more accurite when casting to targets. You have to hookset like a crazed banshee to get enough leverage with the shorter sticks though (crazed banshee???) I spool up with Power pro 20 lb on the 5'9" and 8 lb P line on the 6'

Ed Toobinator Puddephatt
I really want to see what a crazed banshee sets a hook like. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fishhawk
"gotta run like a madman bye thanks see ya good luck"
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I'm all for the Carolina Rig and Senko's now. I never used plastic much, but became a believer during the past 12 days.
FireFox
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by FireFox »

Im pretty much a newbie to fishing bigger plastics (over 4.5"), but I really do want to learn how to use this technique better. Im trying to build up a basic collection of plastics that will cover most of the bases without necessitating a new tackle box. I am limited to my 2 rod choices - one being a 6"6' M/H Quantum baitcast combo and my little Fenwick Light action spinning. Ive always done well with tubes and twisters on 1/8 or 1/16 oz jigheads in the open water for smallies and pickerel (and the inevitable pike that steal my jigs) on the little rod. This week was my first chance to try out the weedless worming and I really liked it. I have it on my list to acquire the equipment to try carolina rigging, and after all I have read from Marcus, I better get a hold of some Senkos as well.

Too bad I dont get more time on the water to try out new techniques. I find it hard to fish new styles when you are stuck on shore.

Fox.
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Markus

I used Senkos wacky rigged last year. I had good luck with them tossing them and forget about them. Something seemed to grab it on the way down everytime.

How do YOU - ho great master - use them :?: If you would please share your knowledge :)
Markus
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Markus »

I used them with a Carolina Rig. Simple set up...slide a bullet sinker on, then a bead, then tie on a barrell swivel, then a 3 foot leader line (fluro of course), tie on your hook and texas rig the senko.

Fire it at the shore and slowly retrieve it and pull it down the drops. Of course the bottom determines whether or not to use this rig. It's good for sandy bottoms and smooth rock.

Don't waste your money on immitation Senkos either. They are cheaper because they don't have amino acids in them...apparently this is what makes the smallies hold on for a good hook set.

We also just texas rigged them weightless and threw them around the docks. Like you said, a lot of the time they never hit bottom. They have a real nice horizontal falling pattern.
DV_8
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DV_8 »

I used to love using the purple culprit worm. It worked like a charm on Upper Rideau Lake for those illusive largemouths. Last week a buddy and I fished Constance Lake with Yum dingers (watermelon and pearl) and we did really well. I caught a 4 & 3 pounder and a bunch more in the 1.5 to 2.5 range. They work really well for finesse fishing especially on a calm lake which we had. My second preference is tubes but I really like crank baits for fishing smallmouths.