ottawa river camping

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Jale
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

ottawa river camping

Post by Jale »

Hey fellas

I am looking for a campground to take the wife and kids for a few days around the ottawa river area on the august long weekend.

Anywhere from arnprior and upriver. I am looking for one that allows tenting, a showerhouse for the wife, a beach/play area for the kids and decent fishing for me.

I have heard the driftwood provincial is nice- anyone been here?

My boat is a 14 foot legend with a 30 hp so big water is out of the question.

My heart is not set on the ottawa so any other places will be considered also.

would prefer no more than a couple of hours from arnprior

thanks guys
big-o
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by big-o »

Topwater and i stayed at Driftwood last summer, I love the place...great fishing , nature trails, good beach....no reservations....super friendly Staff, not crowed.......good launch we are going back this summer ...some time not to sure when!!!! We caught hugh pike a wack of 1 to 3 pound Walleye and scores of S/M bass...bass were small but fun :D
as far as things for kids to do, I'm not to sure send a PM to Topwater, he will be able to help out on most Prov. Prks. :D
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

By far the best Provincial park in the Province in just an hour or so east of Ottawa on hwy 41 I believe. It is called Bon Echo Provincial Park, by far the nicest one and a must visit for everyone. Lots to do for the entire familly, giant trees and some glacier information as you walk in the paths ect ect. Oh ya a nice lake with cliff jumping and fishing.

Better hurry and book early if you plan on any provincial parks.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
topwater
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by topwater »

Like TM said Bon Echo is one of the nicest along with Charleston Lake but chances of getting into those parks now without reservations is very slim impossible over a weekends

Driftwood however is another storie they do not take reservations so good sites are available there are lots of waterfront sites that you can pull your boat up right to your site if you dont want hydro the electric sites are located on the ridge away from the water . No playground or organized activities for the kids but there is showers and a fairly decent beach

They told me at the gate that they don't turn anyone away in fact when I was there once they filled up so they set one guy up on the beach :D