Nanook Thermal ?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Seabass81
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Nanook Thermal ?

Post by Seabass81 »

Well I might be in the market for a new ice shelter. I was curious if anybody has the Clam Nanook ? How do you like it ?

Is it wirth the extra $130 and getting the thermal top?
D-mo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

nanook ..

Post by D-mo »

In my humble opinion .. no ..
Basically heat is going to escape from the sides .. and if you have fished in a portable before ..which i know you have, you know that winds have a way of entering your portable and loosing heat anyways.
Probably the best thing for those thermal tops are the nice warmish spring days, where your going to flip the shelter back anyways, to enjoy the sun (if you aren't sight fishing).
The only thing I can see the thermal top to be good for is to stop some of the condensation forming .. but if you have a good fan system, that is never a problem.
I would either go for a full blown thermal flip, if you are looking .. or conversely buy a bigger heater and a fan.

d-mo
OBD
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by OBD »

Ditto what D-mo said.

Couple extra degrees warmer which means less propane usage and also less condensation. I have to admit it really sucks having snow build up on the top of the shelter and next thing you know you have water dripping down your neck (unless you dodge the water drops :lol:) I've had my 2 "flaps" open and trying to get some air to come in from the floor and still had crazy condensation. If you don't have an insulated garage, that condensation later becomes frost and shatters in little ice particles, leaving a mess in your sled.

Never been in one so can't really say if it works or not but in my opinion the downside to them is not having the black top (depends if you sight fish or not... think muskrat) and a couple extra pounds.

Hope this helps!
GetTheNet!!!
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by GetTheNet!!! »

Hey John,

I've got the Nanook Thermal and I LOVE it. I'll bring it back just after Christmas and you can check it out for yourself.

It weighs a couple lbs more than the non-thermal version, but I have been heating it with an old Coleman catalytic heater and it stays t-shirt warm down to about -15. The sides are also made of a quilted material which is improved over the 'non-thermal' version.

Olivier: I do a lot of clear-water pan-fishin' which is mostly sight fishing. The thermal top lets very little light through so it sight fishes almost as well as it's black-topped cousins.

If you have a snowmobile I might go with a Yukon, but otherwise the Nanook Thermal is the best hut around.

Matt
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

nighttroller
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nighttroller »

I can't say if the thermal is worth the extra money or not but I have no problem keeping my Fish Trap Pro or Base Camp warm with a Mr. Buddy and neither of them are the thermal models. The only down side with getting the Nanook is the extra weight for pulling it around. If you are going to do a lot of walking which I do you might want to consider the Pro or Base Camp. I bought the Base Camp last year for when I need a two man shelter and was very impressed with it. I still love the Pro for when I am going to do a lot of moving around though.