Need help picking first baitcast reel.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Husky jerk

Post by Wallyboss »

Big Jim wrote:I beat the tar (crap) :shock: out of a Caenan 8) protype all summer and it still runs like a fine clock ...even I am overly impressed for under $100.

I can lend it to you for a few days if you want to try it out. :D

BIG JIM :D
Who can resist that offer!!!! Test drive one before you buy!
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
biggs
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by biggs »

I have to agree with the majority and say go Shimano but personally I would spend the extra $35 or so and get a Citica over the Caenan. I just think the HEG gearing and Super Free is worth the extra cash and the Caenan doesn't include those features.
To be honest if you are planning on using this reel in the slop with 50# braid like you posted I don't think I would want to use a reel without HEG, I think it will last longer with that kind of abuse.

I took a look at the Abu Orra SX the other day and it looks and feels nice but I have never fished a Abu so I really can't comment.

good luck.
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Bass Addict »

20 year old Citica...............used/abused/thrown around/............Still working like a Fine Tuned Clock :wink: 8)
Kovalchuk
Participant
Participant

Post by Kovalchuk »

I am nit a Shimano guy at all...

I use an Abu Ambassadeur C4 and absolutely love the thing!
DropShotr
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by DropShotr »

This is an interesting question. Kinda like what kind of truck should I buy?

I have a 30yr old Ambassadeur 4600C (red thumbar) I'll put up aginst anybody's anything.

I have been an Ambassadeur guy for a long time, but I broke the mold several years ago with my first BPS reel, a Prolite which I just love. Bought my second BPS reel, a Pro Qualifyer from a fellow Fish-Hawker on a classified sale in here. After a season of use I love it. When I replace my frog rod/reel I plan to get a new BPS Pro Qualifyer reel.

Good luck with your choice,
Drop
Excessive compulsive dropshot fisherman
Marine5068
Participant
Participant

Post by Marine5068 »

Do like CPrince and Painter say.....
Buy the the most expensive reel you can afford, as long as it says Shimano on it...lol.
Seriously, can't go wrong with a Shimano. I've had many over the years and now own 14 bait casters. Most are Garcia Muskie size, but the bass sized ones are all Shimanos.
I find braided line WAY easier to pick out birds nests and do like Painter says and start out with mono on the reel first then tie your braid to the mono using a uni to uni knot and fill to the limit line on the side of the spool.(If you put braid directly on the reel spool without taping it in place it is so slick that the whole ball of line will spin around the spool freely. This is BAD!)
For my Bass reels, I always use Spiderwire 10/50 because it's less expensive and easily bought at Wal-Mart. It will save you money to start.
Best knot I've found when using braid is the Palomar. Uni knot is hard to tie with the thin braids and hard to get perfect.
Good Luck.
~Stan <"////////><
Catch Your Limit, But Limit Your Catch.
Spence Scout
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Spence Scout »

Buy a Curado 200E or 201E depending on what hand you are! Curados will last you life as long as you take care of it! Higher end reel but performs and lasts, well worth it!
Corey Gaffney
Participant
Participant

first baitcast

Post by Corey Gaffney »

i can't stress enough, spending a little now will save you more later. Not to mention getting your hands on a quality reel it will be easier for you to learn with.make sure it's got a superfree spool. i'd go accurist PT or citica
accurist's got a external breaking system which makes it easier to get familar with, where as most other's have internal which mean you got to open reel and adjust brakes manually.

enjoy it, i now perfer baitcasters over spinning for most aspects.

Corey