Need help picking first baitcast reel.

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
JustAFluke
Participant
Participant

Need help picking first baitcast reel.

Post by JustAFluke »

I've been using a spinning combo with 8 pound test my whole fishing life. Next year I plan on doing more bass fishing and I want to be able to get in there and fish the slop with 50lb braid.

I'm looking for a little help in choosing a good baitcaster for this purpose as well as being kind to a first time user. :)
I am considering the Abu Garcia Revo-s and the Shimano Citica currently.($140 is max i want to spend)

Anyone have any advice on a suitable reel for my needs?
fishmaster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by fishmaster »

Check out the new Caenan from Shimano before you buy anything. They run around 100 bucks and are packed with some of the finest features shimano has. Take a drive out the Paddletales next weekend and he'll have them there along with lots of great pro-staffers that can help you out ( and lots of great snacks). Then you can take the $40 you will save and buy some tackle to use with your new reel :wink:
Thanks to my great supporters Deep River Outfitters, Shimano Canada and Hunters Bay Marine.
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Can't go wrong with the Citicas. I have a few and they are bullet proof. Never tried a Canaan but it has teh Name Shimano on it so it can't be that bad.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

For me it's between Caenan or Citica.

I checked out the Caenan. It's nice. Was $94 at baron. Of course lefties weren't in stock...
Don't remember what the Citica went for, probably $40 more or so.
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

FIRST CASTER

Post by Big Jim »

DITTO DITTO DITTO :D 8)

BIG JIM
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

The Shimano Caenan reel is a sweet economically priced reel for someone to begin with......in the past $100 baitcasters were more trouble then they were worth for the beginner and they simply gave up......

Now if you've picked one up and aren't a fan of birdsnests and struggle with it....you'll know it wasn't the reels fault.... :lol:

RJ
JustAFluke
Participant
Participant

Post by JustAFluke »

Thanks for the feedback. I had thought about the Caenan but since it's new I wasn't able to find many reviews. Sounds like a nice deal from the responses so far.

Has anyone tried the Abu Revo-s or Orras SX? They sound like nice reels, I have an Abu spinning reel and it's worked excellent for me.

Any thoughts on the Abu Garcia reels?
painter
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Baitcaster.

Post by painter »

Buy the most expensive reel that you can afford.

With the best features in that price range. Spool it with 15-20 lb MONO to start with. I would say a first time user with Power pro spooled on will be constantly removing bird's nests. Mono is thicker, easier to untangle and WHEN you need to cut it all out after the 10000th tangle..........you won't be throwing away $20.00 of braid.

You try, you like !

T
Wallyboss
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Wallyboss »

Google Baitcasting 101 .

BTW I find braided line easier to untangle than mono. But that's my own opinion.
When hell freezes over, I'll be there icefishing!!!

If you can't stand behind our troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

Experience is that marvellous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Baitcaster.

Post by cprince »

painter wrote:Mono is thicker, easier to untangle and WHEN you need to cut it all out after the 10000th tangle..........you won't be throwing away $20.00 of braid.
T
Keep in mind - I know nothing about nothing!!

...BUT...

If you buy cheap... get Shimano!

I bought a $75 or $80 Pflueger Endeavor combo.

The first fish I set a hook on with this combo (A 3.5lb LMB) the thing fell apart.

Seriously.

I have also had to cut out two spools of Power Pro. Totally bedded beyond redemption...

I am not painting ALL Pfluegers with the same brush... this one was obviously not their best.

BUT

I bought a Shimano $75 to $80 combo.... Sojourn rod Callisto reel...

AND I LOVE IT!

This is my first year with baitcasters reels and I am quickly becoming a convert. I had an old Shimano Crestfire given to me and I teamed it up with my Bob Izumi rod... works great.

I have arthritis in my left hand (and I am left handed...) and the spinning reels were BRUTAL on my hand. I fish all day when I go... and I rarely take any breaks, so my hand would be SCREAMING the next day. Baitcasters seem to have little impact on my hand...

Keep in mind... all the ones that I have mentioned are likely looked down on by tackle whores... snide "..Canadian Tire Combo..." remarks will rain down upon you like cocaine and crabs on Charlie Sheen's shoes in a hotel bathroom.

I am going to start to upgrade my swords at a fiscally sane rate. That goes for rods too.

Good luck and let us know what you choose and your impressions!

Craig
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Baitcaster.

Post by Bass Addict »

cprince wrote:.

I have arthritis in my left hand (and I am left handed...) and the spinning reels were BRUTAL on my hand. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Craig

The result of using a Canadian Tire FX $ 19.99 Rod Reel combo , the rod with the 1'' diameter shaft........ :shock: :oops:
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I own 2 baitcast combos, I bought both used from the FH classifieds and I love them both. I got a quality combo for less than half the price of a new reel alone.
Food for thought.

Yannick
Big Jim
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Husky jerk

Post by Big Jim »

I beat the tar (crap) :shock: out of a Caenan 8) protype all summer and it still runs like a fine clock ...even I am overly impressed for under $100.

I can lend it to you for a few days if you want to try it out. :D

BIG JIM :D
muskymatt
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Husky jerk

Post by muskymatt »

Big Jim wrote:I beat the tar (crap) :shock: out of a Caenan 8) protype all summer and it still runs like a fine clock ...even I am overly impressed for under $100.

I can lend it to you for a few days if you want to try it out. :D

I've been thinking of what lund boat, shimano rods....and reels.....for under $100 too Big Jim.

Delivery, my house tomorrow??

I'll even throw in the KFC voucher I got in Val-Pac.... :lol: :lol:
Bass Addict
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Husky jerk

Post by Bass Addict »

Big Jim wrote:I beat the tar (crap) :shock: out of a Caenan 8) protype all summer and it still runs like a fine clock .

Looks like I might have to pick one up next Saturday , and Jim you can have my share of the Turkey :idea: