Carolina, Texas...what the ???

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Carolina, Texas...what the ???

Post by saskie »

Can anyone help a rookie Bass Turd out on the differences and uses betwen Carolina and Texas rigging? What are they? what are their advantages/disadvantages? How do you rig them?

Little help?
eye-tracker
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Re: Carolina, Texas...what the ???

Post by eye-tracker »

saskie wrote:Can anyone help a rookie Bass Turd out on the differences and uses betwen Carolina and Texas rigging? What are they? what are their advantages/disadvantages? How do you rig them?

Little help?
ooh I know the answer to this one...

Carolina Rigging: "You hang a shot gun from your Transom"
Texas Rigging: "You place steer horns on your Bow"

they don't call me eye-tracker for noth'n :wink:
Sheldon Hatch
Just a guy that likes to fish walleye
Rescue78
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rescue78 »

Saskie

I don't know much about Carolina Rig myself because I don't use it (mind you I will soon since Markus kind of gave me a good way to use it with Senkos)

Now Texas rig is hands down the rig I used the most. FishHawk posted a great article on how to put one together here http://www.fish-hawk.net/tips/wormrig/wormrig.htm

They are great to slip a worm through a weed bed. Either fish right in the weeds or stay about 2 boat lenghts outside the weed line, short cast into the weeds, and pull the bass out with short hops of the bottom. I stress short cast, more like flipping, because you want a fairly vertical presentation. This rig is totally weedless. When you poke the hook in the worm, poke it through, then burry the hook back in the worm. That way, your hole is made and makes your hook set more efficient.

Texas rig is also efficient through fallen trees and stomps. Vary the size of your weight depending on wind and weed conditions.
ganman
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by ganman »

Texas Rig Plastic Worm......start with this one. More bass are caugt on this then any other lure. Its more suited to largemouth bass. Smallmouth will hit it but rarely so. Learn it first then if need be move on to a Carolina rig.

Take a cone slip sinker which is simply a cone shaped sinker with a hole running through the length. Slide it pointed end first on your line. Most common size is 1/8 or 5/16 ounce.

Next tie on a large strong hook. Preferably a special worm hook size 2/0 is a good size to start with. The kink shank is to hold the worm in place.

Take a plastic worm, 6 in length for now with an action or curled tail. Try a Culprit, Power Worm, Jelly Worm you'll soon develop your own favourite. For colors try black, purple (a favourite), blue or any color combo involving one of those colors.

Ok..here's where you have to pay attention. Insert the hook about 1/2" into the worms nose. Bring it back out and slide the worm up the hook covering the hookeye with the 1/2" section. Rotate the hookpoint and insert back into the worm. The whole thing should lay straight. With some practice you'll get it right. If it dosen't look weedless you did it wrong.

Fish it with a rather stiff rod...casting or spinning dosen't matter. You should use line testing at least 10 lb test. Fish it like an ultra ultra slow jig. Cast out let it settle to bottom and move in a series of short hops or just drag it. Throw into logs, weeds etc. any place a bass would hide out. One of the hardest things to detect is the difference between a panfish peck and a bass hit. Panfish will peck away at it or pick it up and tear off with it. what you want to feel is weight. A bass will feel like you've snagged something heavy....but it'll be moving. When you detect a hit set the hook quick and real hard!! You'll soon what one feels like.

A Carolina rig is very similar but with a barrel swivel and lead of line anywhere from 12" to 3' between the sinker and hook. It often uses an egg sinker and heavier lines but not always.

Like I said start with the Texas rig.....keep at it and don't get discouraged. A great way to learn is leave your other tackle at home.

good luck.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Thanx guys!
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

This page will explain the different types of rigs and when to use them:

http://www.camo-store.com/bass_fishing_ ... lained.htm
beadhead
Participant
Participant

Post by beadhead »

e-t, that was classic! :lol: :lol:

I was toolin' down the 417 this afternoon, and just started chuckling thinking about that shotgun rack on your transom and the Boss Hawg horns duct taped to your bow...

Do they sell marine gun racks at Bass Pro Shops?