Why Quinny

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
seanshuntin
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Why Quinny

Post by seanshuntin »

One has to ask the question, for all wally hunters , why does one take time off work, use holiday time , spend gas money and accom's just to fish Quinny ?????????????? I have got more wally's in the 10 to 13lbs range just by launching in the Cardinal to Brockville area... It seems to me that any f-hawkers in the vacinity of Ottawa would want to capitalize on the shorter venture down the highway rather then spend upteen amounts of money just to fish somewhere thats been on t.v or in a magazine of sorts... Is it just me or is this tourism promotion at its best?????
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Re: Why Quinny

Post by cprince »

seanshuntin wrote:One has to ask the question, for all wally hunters , why does one take time off work, use holiday time , spend gas money and accom's just to fish Quinny ?????????????? I have got more wally's in the 10 to 13lbs range just by launching in the Cardinal to Brockville area... It seems to me that any f-hawkers in the vacinity of Ottawa would want to capitalize on the shorter venture down the highway rather then spend upteen amounts of money just to fish somewhere thats been on t.v or in a magazine of sorts... Is it just me or is this tourism promotion at its best?????
Any graphic representations of your Non Quinte exploits?

:wink:

Have heard many good reports from that area from some in-laws who live in Brock...

Show me your Eyes!

Craig
Yannick Loranger
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Yannick Loranger »

I think, for alot of guys like me who have caught alot of walleye but have never hit double digits, Quinte seems like almost a sure thing. Probably because of good marketing and getting the big names to film shows there. I don't doubt that there is equally good fishing on other parts of the Larry, or even parts of the Ottawa River, but if I had 500$ to spend on one day of fishing, I'm going to Quinte in November with a guide for a monstrous eye.

Yannick
Marine5068
Participant
Participant

Post by Marine5068 »

Bay of Quinte is know around the world and is one of the best Walleye fishing places on earth. The other would be Lake of the Woods.
It's not just marketing thats makes a place good, but the constant hard work by our biologists and more importantly, by our fishing clubs that practice and teach catch-and-release so those trophy fish can be found.
Good luck and remember, Catch your limit, but limit your catch.
~Stan <"////////><
Catch Your Limit, But Limit Your Catch.
Daner
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Daner »

Hi;
My response is that for years and I mean a lot of years I have always wanted to fish Quinte as I saw and read one of the very 1st articles or shows. For one reason or another since that time I was never able to go.
I was telling my friend that it was great to finally troll up toward the Hydro Plant and Cement Factory.Now I can say that I have.

Certainly if I find another area that is much closer and produces as much and the same then yes, I would go there.
Daner
A Fish a Day, will keep the Blues away!
JimW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by JimW »

Personally I head to Quinte because for me it represents the best chance at a 10 plus pound walleye based on personal experience and seeing other reports, reading articles.

I have heard of good reports of walleye out of the St. Lawrence, but not many reports of 10 pound plus fish caught on a regular basis.

I really have just started fishing Quinte but in 3 ice fishing tips last year and 2 trips this fall at least 1 fish over 10 pounds has been caught on every trip.

I work near Brockville and would love to save the drive to Quinte, so any tips or tricks on caughting 10 to 13 pound eyes around Brockville would be appreciated.

I too would love to see some pictures of a 13 pound St. Law eye.

Cheers,

Jim W
Trophymuskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Trophymuskie »

I thought Quinte was for teen walleyes not 10-13 but 13 and above. As well I would like to know anywhere else where you could bag a limit ( if you keeped them ) and your smallest fish would be an 8. This is common on Quite this time of year.

If I did walleye well I'd be going there every year but it still takes 3 of those the weight like 1 on my muskies. LOL

And you'd be lucky to get a walleye over 10 in the Ottawa those are very rare.
Catch and release them all
Richard Collin
Moosebunk
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Moosebunk »

seanshuntin wrote:One has to ask the question, for all wally hunters , why does one take time off work, use holiday time , spend gas money and accom's just to fish Quinny ?????????????? I have got more wally's in the 10 to 13lbs range just by launching in the Cardinal to Brockville area... It seems to me that any f-hawkers in the vacinity of Ottawa would want to capitalize on the shorter venture down the highway rather then spend upteen amounts of money just to fish somewhere thats been on t.v or in a magazine of sorts... Is it just me or is this tourism promotion at its best?????
I live closer to Brockville so... if you wanna pm me all the info you can with regards to your claims, I'll be happy to investigate in the future and report back to ya.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Nothing compares to Bay of Quinte for BIG walleye.....not Erie...not the Larry......nowhere.

Though the Larry has really taken off as a walleye destination it simply doesn't produce multiple 10 pound plus days like Quinte can.

RJ
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

One quick question though, the ever-growing crowds at Quinte is due to tourism promotion or from on-line fishing forums doing the promotion of the monster fish available. The crowds were pretty thin in the 90's (even with the lodges doing their thing and the shows airing on TV) but they weren't when we stopped going in 2002.

Ok, one more questions. Hows the fishing holding up?? I remember the ridiculous amounts of beasts being caught when the FH.net crew started hitting it about 7-8 years ago, saw the same thing on the QC boards. Havent seen a fraction of those catches since...unless they are not being posted but what is being posted is not very impressive (all public boards included), for Quinte standards.

Manny
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Manny wrote: Ok, one more questions. Hows the fishing holding up?? I remember the ridiculous amounts of beasts being caught when the FH.net crew started hitting it about 7-8 years ago, saw the same thing on the QC boards. Havent seen a fraction of those catches since...unless they are not being posted but what is being posted is not very impressive (all public boards included), for Quinte standards.

Manny
I've had this conversation many times lately....over time I find people seem to remember the fishing being better in the past than it really was....."the days of yesterday are always better"..... :lol: I find the fishing hasn't changed numbers wise.....

IMO...a great day on Quinte is a 10 fish day.....and by fish I mean Walleye....not Sheephead. If you are running 4 rods in a boat that is a great day.

Of course when you start getting the big spread out 6 and 8 rods....the numbers can get bigger but not always, but on those days when the fish are goin good you will load em up with that big spread.

If you want that photo of you and a Giant walleye.....buy 4 diving plugs.....drive around the Reach for a few days......you'll get your photo!

RJ
Manny
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Manny »

RJ wrote:
Manny wrote: Ok, one more questions. Hows the fishing holding up?? I remember the ridiculous amounts of beasts being caught when the FH.net crew started hitting it about 7-8 years ago, saw the same thing on the QC boards. Havent seen a fraction of those catches since...unless they are not being posted but what is being posted is not very impressive (all public boards included), for Quinte standards.

Manny
I've had this conversation many times lately....over time I find people seem to remember the fishing being better in the past than it really was....."the days of yesterday are always better"..... :lol: I find the fishing hasn't changed numbers wise.....

IMO...a great day on Quinte is a 10 fish day.....and by fish I mean Walleye....not Sheephead. If you are running 4 rods in a boat that is a great day.

Of course when you start getting the big spread out 6 and 8 rods....the numbers can get bigger but not always, but on those days when the fish are goin good you will load em up with that big spread.

If you want that photo of you and a Giant walleye.....buy 4 diving plugs.....drive around the Reach for a few days......you'll get your photo!

RJ
Right on!! Figured the poeple who have them dialed in is keeping things more hush hush than, say, in 2003.

I got my Quinte pics in the 90's, was fun, but never had the urge to go back.
i got worms
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by i got worms »

why quinte?

here's a few reasons, past and present:

i've been fishing both of these fisheries for 20 some years and quinte still holds the most 10lb+ potential.

i agree that there are great spots for walleye on the larry, i fish it all the time. but if you're looking for hogs, head for quinte.
I got 99 problems but a fish ain't one...
nips
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by nips »

The larry is a great walleye fishery, but these guys are right, for consistent catches of 10lbs+ walleye you need to go to quinte. I have caught walleye up too 13lbs on the larry and even saw a 16lber caught, but there few and far between. 7-8lbers are common on the larry though. Another reason is that you can't ice fish most of the larry, it simply doesn't freeze well. One of my ice spots for walleye on the larry was only safe for 2 weeks last year, and when i say safe, i mean 4 inches of ice. :shock: :shock:.
My undersized musky just ATE your trophy bass
CCLad
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by CCLad »

No doubt there is good eye's in the Larry, big ones in the Ottawa, Rideau, and even the Jock.... That said, The bay of Q has it's reputation for a reason.

Go see.