Need boat launching teacher

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :P
Muskie_legend
Participant
Participant

Post by Muskie_legend »

Cool, was he really short and stocky like the cardboard cut out i saw at canadian tire?
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: yes he was. Careful, he may be lurking here, ya never know :) :)

I also met his brother Wayne (another great guy) and Bobby Orr (him too). This was the day they taped the episode with Bobby and a couple of guys who won a contest with Chevy Trucks.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Saskette wrote: We're going to be launching from Claybanks at the Madawaska Head Pond on Saturday (July 17) around 7am. We can help and we can all head out together if you want to go there?
7 AM :?: :!: :!: :!: Getting up that early is against my religion :!: Bowzog's usually up that early but he's going to Bluesfest Friday night so he certainly won't be up early the next day :wink: What time are you planning on taking your boat out of the water later? :)
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

wolfe wrote: REMEMBER: Wear extra antiperspirant and don't take anything Bowzog screams at you to heart! :wink:

W.
I'll probably be doing most of the screaming :oops:
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

steely5 wrote:One thing that was not mentioned,DO not forget to put the plug in the boat before lauching.With all the other stuff you have to do and the anticipation of getting out on the water.I'm sure everyone has done it at least once.Have fun with your new ride..
:lol: :lol: oh yes oh yes that is one reason why I have the moniker of Gorfman :lol: :oops: :oops: :roll: :wink:
Life goes on
gorfman007
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by gorfman007 »

wolfe wrote:Good luck, Slushpuppy. And enjoy your time out on the maiden voyage. Hopefully, you'll find someone to help -- and they'll get some good company and maybe some good fishing in exchange for their experience. Let me know how it turns out.

REMEMBER: Wear extra antiperspirant and don't take anything Bowzog screams at you to heart! :wink:

W.
Don't worry about that you'll probably throw each other into the water :P :P :lol: :lol: :roll: :oops:
Life goes on
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

:? I wouldn't recommend Shirley Bay as a first time boat launch. The launch at the town of White Lake on White Lake usually isn't too busy and there is a concrete dock beside the launch. Good luck.

TonyB
The bigger, the better!
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

Slushy,

Actually, screaming is usually not necessary. Some of my best arguments with hubby have been at a "hissing" level! Like two crabby geese, PO'd at eachother: hssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

Nah, you won't need to scream OR hiss. You'll both do a beautiful, first time launch...just like the rest of us did with our first time (ever see my post on this???) hee-hee! Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) :lol:

W.

PS: there will be plenty of "hissing" going on during our 4-hr ride to NJ this weekend and back. Trust me...! :roll:
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

The others sumed it up pretty good, " BUT WAIT" here's another little trick you might be intereseted in: When backing up, start by puttting your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, now wich ever way you turn it , the boat will go the same way. Hope this helps and best of luck to you with your new toy!

CHEERS
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

HOF,

that's a handy little trick; I've seen that posted in an earlier thread (by you, maybe?) and never forgot it.

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

slushpuppy wrote:
Saskette wrote: We're going to be launching from Claybanks at the Madawaska Head Pond on Saturday (July 17) around 7am. We can help and we can all head out together if you want to go there?
7 AM :?: :!: :!: :!: Getting up that early is against my religion :!: Bowzog's usually up that early but he's going to Bluesfest Friday night so he certainly won't be up early the next day :wink: What time are you planning on taking your boat out of the water later? :)
That'll depend on a lot of things - mostly how the fishing is, and the weather (Saskie don't do so well in the heat). If you don't have any luck we could try Sunday evening somewhere.
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

Actually, we haven't been able to get out to the high school parking lot to practice backing up with the trailer, so it looks like we'll be doing the parking lot thing on Saturday, and real boating on Sunday, weather permitting of course.

Thanks to all for the advice on NOT going to Shirley's Bay or busy spots for our first try. Now that I think of it, DOH :!: There's also warnings of high water levels on the Ottawa River so conditions may not be ideal.

I'm printing all this stuff out and studying it. Keep 'em coming if anyone wants to add anything.

Thanks!!
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

(WOLFE) This subject had come up before, maybe a month or two ago. I was going to post it then but somone else had already done it. My pop taught me this little trick when I was a kid and I think that if I had to try it the other way, I'd have a really hard time.

CHEERS
slushpuppy
Retail Advertiser
Retail Advertiser

Post by slushpuppy »

See the following thread to find out how the maiden voyage of the Slushpuppy 1 went.

http://www.fish-hawk.net/phpBB-2.0.2/ph ... php?t=4279