Best bait for catfish in the Ottawa?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Best bait for catfish in the Ottawa?

Post by Mr.J. »

Hey all.

I've never been a live bait / jigging kind of guy. I'm into spoons and spinners and trolling (kingmann now knows why too)

Kingmann took me out last weekend, put a minnow on my jig head and told me to catch a catfish. Wow what a rush. It was a great fight and a real thrill, thanks Kingmann.

Now my question is pretty simple. What is an alternate bait for catfish other than minnows. I've even heard people use hotdogs but I forgot to ask what kind of bun. :lol: Kingmann had good success with worms too but I can see going through a few dozen pretty quickly. I even heard about people using pork rinds but at $6 or $7 a small bottle it can add up pretty quickly.
Kingmann
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Kingmann »

Mr.J, Cats have a really keen sense of smell so what ever it is it has to be smelly(or have smell to it). You should PM Xenos for a stink bait recipe, he and a neighbor made a stink bait from cheese and all kinds of other stinky stuff and let it rot in the sun and fun stuff like that. It is on it's second year of frementing and apparently will work wonders. The problem is that no wants to open the jar :shock:

JasonM

Post by Guest »

all you need is a wrom on a jig head.. or a dead leopard frog..
barblessbob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by barblessbob »

we use chicken or pork livers, cheap, icky but they catch
if you have dead minnows use that also
stink bait works well also
have fun

nofish
Lucannus
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Lucannus »

Funny you should ask. Float Fishin has got me hooked for evening shores fishes for the cats and am I doing fairly well.

So far I have used ( With good success)

Pork Liver ( 1.50$ ) - I cut into strips and I add a garlic scent to them

Shrimp ( 6.99$ for a ring ) - These I put fresh garlic into a zip lock withe shrimp and let them soak in the stink .

Both have worked equally well and and having a blast.
To Note: Shrimp never needs to be changed or rescented I have found. Whereas the Pork Liver I find actually slightly cooks in the water and gets tougher (red to grey meat colour ) so I keep changing the bait.

That being Said at 1.50$ ( 3 or four days worth of meat ) its not that bad of a way to go) Normally we pay for the meat and share it amongst 3 or 4 guys.

My method is a jig head with a hook at 45Degree angle sticking up.
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

I use a worm looped twice on a floating jighead...with one split shot...does the trick for me!

I stick with worms because you get the bonus walleyes too...plus mooneyes...perch...and others...

RJ
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

One bait that i would use if i went out cat fishing would be trout (feed) pellets. I've used them a lot when carp fishing but not in canada. I know a few people that have and they were pestered bad with cats some decent ones too.

All you do is add some water to dry trout pellets to form a paste and mold some around your hook and away you go.. It really stinks and stays on the hook well..

Now where you'd find trout (feed) pellets around here i'm not sure... I know shur-gain an animal feed company sells it but mostly in the maratimes. Also if you know of any trout farms you may try t osee if they'd sell you a bag.

I've always used slow sinking pellets straight out of the bag as loose feed for carp and in france and the uk this has been a very successful method.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

You guys have me thinking now. The Parry Sound side of the bay has channel cats, Greymist always takes liver pate on our trips (cat food IMHO) maybe mixed with bread and made into a ball, anyone ever try it?
Tonyb
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Tonyb »

:D If you want to catch a lot of cats use chicken liver. Farm Boy in Kanata sells it fresh (and cheap) If previously frozen it doesn't work as well. BUT, if you want to catch big cats, in the 10 lb. range use as big a minnow as you can find with a slip sinker. We have found that the minnows, up to 6 inches, work best when they are dead. Best ones are the local ones, not the canned variety. Find a good hole and good luck.

Tonyb
The bigger, the better!
Rob
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Rob »

All I can say to that is rotten beaf dipped in rotten chicken livers. During the catfest me and partner could not keep them off of our lines, and for some strange reason they hit the yellow jig-heads way more the the other colors.

Word of caution the smell will make you gag, to say the least and try to keep the wind at your back at all times.

CHEERS :)

Post by Guest »

*cough* Leopard frogs...
Jigs
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

catfish bait

Post by Jigs »

Mr. J.

I used worms on a jig and caught a bunch not too long ago.

Or you can use minnows and catch pike

Or you can use some of the b.s. that is for sale and catch ????

Better not repeat that cause probably some of the b.s. sellers are sponsors............ :oops:

WORMS.

Regards: Jigs.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

Hahahaha

Hotdogs, yes hotdogs work really well, unforunatly unlike worms or minnows you'll only get cats and not the odd smallie or walleye, but they sure seem to like hotdogs.