Spinner Baits

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Big Bass Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Spinner Baits

Post by Big Bass Buddy »

Hope someone can give me an explination please.

Just started using Spinner BAits over the last two years. Well me and a buddy where fishing and he asked if I had a White Spinner Bait with colorado blades. What is he talking about? Any information on which ones to use? Went to Canadian Tire and Wal-mart and they couldn't explain the difference to me.

Next is plastics. What Plastics and colours should one have in there tackle box. I have white tubes and Blue/black tubes. As well a lot of 7" plastics and crawfish type plastics.

sorry if these are dumb questions> I have just started to use these. Used mostly crankbaits and weedless lures. Thansk
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

Big Bass Buddy,

The colorado blades that he was referring to are the large round blades as opposed to the thin willow stlye blades. Spinner baits using colorado blades tend to run slower and shallower and put out more vibration that fish can sense. Willow blades on the other hand will tend to run deeper and faster.

Keep in mind you can purchase spinner baits with single or tandam blades.

On the topic of colours for plastic baits. While I don't fish plastics too often, when I do I find that black, and a blue/purple tend to be my best producers.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

The best advice i can give anyone about spinnerbaits is to watch the video listed below by Kevin Van Dam. For me it was one of the best videos i'd ever seen and has given me an real insight into selecting spinnerbiats and how to effectivly use them.

Image Kevin VanDam - "Proven Spinnerbait Techniques" VHS or DVD

Willowleaf Blade: Faster (Less water resistence), more flash, less vibration

Indiana Blade: Medium Speed, medium flash, medium vibration

Colarado Blade: Slower (More water resistance), less flash, more vibration

This is what i try to use but of course it's easy to forget :D

Clear Water / Bright day: White skirt / silver or gold blades
Clear Water / Dull Day: white skirt / white blades

Stained Water / Bright day: Chartruce skirt / silver or gold blades
Stained Water / Dull day: Chartruce skirt / Chartruce blades

Don't forget to run spinnerbaits fairly quickly as they are supposed to represent a group of small fish fleaing from a predator. But don't be afraid to slow roll the bait in deeper water.

I don't add any plastic trailers to my spinnerbiats except in really stained water where i may want to bulk the bait out to give off more vibration and perhaps add some scent to the bait.

when choosing skirts go for the ones that sparkle as oppsed to those that are flat.. if that makes any sense :lol:

Hopefully that helps but i'm sure others have far different ideas on spinnerbaits.
Last edited by SkeeterJohn on Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
old guy
Participant
Participant

Post by old guy »

Excellent info John. Perhaps I could add that if you are fishing an area adjacent to weeds or pads that is deep let the bait sink to a count of five {actually it depends on the depth} and then begin a fast retrieve - stop- let sink - fast retrieve. etc. This has worked wonders for me.
I prefer an indiana top blade with a smaller colorado as its tandem partner. Chartreuse trailers are my favorites. Good luck -
Big Bass Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Big Bass Buddy »

Thansk for all the info. Makes sense now. Where is the best place to get them? Thanks again
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

the best selection i've seen is Ed's (Paddletales) in winchester. I really like the Hart baits and he has quite a few others too... Expect to pay about $6-$10 for a decent bait.
Hoser
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Hoser »

my 2 cents worth....have about a dozen different colours and types of blades. The one that works best for me consistantly is the gold willow. Clear water, bright or cloudy.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Bought some spinner baits and tubes today you guys are converting me! Can I troll with them?
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

You can troll with them VERY VERY SLOWLY :lol: :lol: :lol: A lot of people say that dragging tubes along the bottom works well...

Actually i had a nice smallie on the rideau river by throwing my tube out, putting my rod down and messing with my fish finder.. i noticed my rod bent over and i thought i was behind a rock but it turned out to be a fish :roll: :roll: That was a bait that wasn't even moving it was just sat there for about 2 mins.
fishforfun
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by fishforfun »

Thanks John I may try a slow drift, but I guess flogging the water is my best bet. Hoping when I get up north I can find some senkos as well. In our little town CTC is it for tackle. I also think I read that large spinner baits are good for musky? Hopefully I can find some of them to.
Karack
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Karack »

Big Bass Buddy wrote:Thansk for all the info. Makes sense now. Where is the best place to get them? Thanks again
Hey BBB,

I make my own Spinner baits. I really enjoy this as a Winter activity and you can save TONS of cash. Have a look at http://www.luremaking.com this is where I get my supplies.

Karack
Big Bass Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Big Bass Buddy »

Thanks Karack. I am going to have to try tmaking them in the winter. Mike just be better for me to buy them already made. I can't seem to do that handy work kinda stuff. But would be neat to try......Thanks for the site. Added to the favs to veiw later.