Bass pro shop

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.

Do you want a local Bass pro shop?

Poll ended at Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:02 pm

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 44

Tussman
Participant
Participant

Bass pro shop

Post by Tussman »

Hey guys, what do you think about getting a Bass Pro Shop for the Ottawa region?
I contacted them as I found ridiculous that Canada orders are considered as international when they have a Shop in Toronto ..
It's ridiculous because of the delay , the additional fees and of course free shipping does not apply.

They replied:
You are welcome to suggest a new Bass Pro location in a certain area by providing the location, and your full contact information including address and day time phone number. Please contact us again if you would like to make a suggestion.
It's not over until it's over.
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

Tussman: If you are looking for BPS stuff, I can get it as well as other sponsors of this site quite often at less than it would cost you to get it from BPS. If there was a Bass Pro store in the area, they would only carry what they consider regional stuff anyway, not the whole catalogue as you may think.

Ed
Paddletales Tackle
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
tbone1088
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by tbone1088 »

toobinator how do you get it? If I wanted some things, could I give you a list and see what they have?
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

Having a local BPS would be like Christmas 365 days a year ! :lol: 8) :lol:
|Dore|
Tussman
Participant
Participant

Post by Tussman »

Yes toobinator, lets talk about it if you don't mind.
I am always open for good plans.
:P
It's not over until it's over.
CNs
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by CNs »

Do you really NEED a BPS in Ottawa?

Unless you specifically want BPS branded gear, we have within 1 hour drive

for hunting:
Baitcasters (Carletoon Place)
Bennetts (Smith Falls)
Le Baron (Ottawa)
Manotick Bait (Manotick - Archery stuff)
Sail (Ottawa)
Sports Action (Ottawa)
That hunting and fishing store (Richmond)

Fishing: all of the above Plus

Al's bait shop(Arnprior)
Bits n Baits (Stittsville)
Float Paddle Fly (BC)
Green Drake (Nepean)
Ozile's (Petrie Island)
Paddletales (Winchester)

Canadian Tire

Waldmart

If I missed any - sorry

AND as Ed posted - almost every retailer can/will order whatever you want. if they do not have it in stock and it is available to them from their distributors they can get it. (this is not an invitation to bash Le Baron).
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

I'd bet that 80% of the members on this site will have split opinions on this topic but if it does in fact happen everyone will be running to the store like speedy gonzalez ! :roll:
|Dore|
toobinator
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by toobinator »

The way it works, You let me know what you want and I'll price it for you. Pricing is the BPS price plus the exchange rate plus duty if applicable, and plus 13% HST. This is your landed cost in Canadian dollars including tax. Duty aspplies to items made offshore (6.5%) or tents (18%) or clothing (up to 27%). Some brands, such as Pradco or Pure Fishing they won't ship to be because of aggreements with the Canadian companies, but I can generally get those through another source.

When BPS came to Toronto, a lot of guys thought that they would be the end all and be all for tackle, but were severely disappointed with the selection. Margins are much higher in clothing and furniture and knick knacks, so that's what they fill the bulk of the store with. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool store, but you'll get a better selection of tackle locally.

That's my somewhat jaded opinion

Ed
Save a bass. Eat a chicken
SkeeterJohn
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by SkeeterJohn »

I'll add my 2cents.

I've been to the Toronto store a couple of times in the past when in Toronto on business. The first time i went it seemed like a decent store but the reality was the fishing section covered only about 20% of the total store and within there they had extensive selections but from VERY limited companies. Yum, BPS own brands, and several of the major manufacturers.

Being a large store i "assumed" the prices would reflect their buying power however, i was surprised to see many items were more expensive than they could be purchased locally!

The one attraction worth checking out was their big fish tank with some impressive fish. BUT the last time i was there they all looked in very poor condition so even that was a let down.

So was i impressed with what BPS brought to the market... no... i don't even bother going there anymore when i'm in town and i usually stay within a 10 min drive of the place.

Do we "need" one in Ottawa... i think you can guess what my answer is....

There's obviously some good products in the catalogue, but as Ed pointed out, that doesn't mean you'll find them in the store.
cprince
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by cprince »

|Dore| wrote:I'd bet that 80% of the members on this site will have split opinions on this topic...
Doré is like me;
Half good with computers.
Half good at fishing.
Half good at math.

On Topic:
We don't need no stinkin' Bass Pro Shops. Here is my pecking order when it comes to shopping;

1 - Local Mom&Pop Shop
2 - Canadian owned and operated big box store (Lebarron+Sail)
3 - Canadian on-line retailers.
4 - International retailers.

1 through 3 get me everything I want and more. I have yet needed to resort to #4.

Craig
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

cprince wrote:
|Dore| wrote:I'd bet that 80% of the members on this site will have split opinions on this topic...
Doré is like me;
Half good with computers.
Half good at fishing.
Half good at math.

On Topic:
We don't need no stinkin' Bass Pro Shops. Here is my pecking order when it comes to shopping;

1 - Local Mom&Pop Shop
2 - Canadian owned and operated big box store (Lebarron+Sail)
3 - Canadian on-line retailers.
4 - International retailers.

1 through 3 get me everything I want and more. I have yet needed to resort to #4.

Craig
Goshhhh ! Me and my typos :( I meant to say 50% ! lol Funny to say I acctualy work for Justice in the Litigation Branch and all we do is crunch numbers all day :roll: Sorry bout that everyone :lol: I'm half good with computers and 1/4 good at fishing I must admit tho !
|Dore|
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

I like the fish tank :)
SeaMonster
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by SeaMonster »

Tell them to start/finish/whatever the one in freakin' Mirabel!

I am going to drive to Paddletales soon because Canadian tire has no selection, and Baron/Sail people are pee peeing me off!

Took a look at the latest Shimano gear and the doooood behind the counter shugged his shoulders when I asked questions, and said he "didn't use baitcasters" I'm like wtf are you doing here?!?!??! Just open up the cabinet and step aside!

Ed, I'll bring my wife and maybe we can tag team an explanation on why I need a boatload of new gear!!! :D
Dore
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Dore »

I must say that I've been ordering all my tackle in spring threw the BPS catalogue, I guess I like it because I don't have to really go to different places to get what I want. I go threw the catalogue, write down the numbers, colours ect and place an order online and a couple of days later my door bell rings with my stuff. Now I've never been to the actual BPS in Toronto but if you say that they don't cary that much tackle and it's mostly an outdoor store with furniture and all that, I'll just keep ordering my stuff BPS online and hitting local tackle shops ones in a while to top up on last minute outtings. I always tought of BSP like a magical place where I would cry of hapiness just by looking at the building from the parking lot :oops:
|Dore|
highlander
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by highlander »

|Dore| wrote:I must say that I've been ordering all my tackle in spring threw the BPS catalogue, I guess I like it because I don't have to really go to different places to get what I want. I go threw the catalogue, write down the numbers, colours ect and place an order online and a couple of days later my door bell rings with my stuff. Now I've never been to the actual BPS in Toronto but if you say that they don't cary that much tackle and it's mostly an outdoor store with furniture and all that, I'll just keep ordering my stuff BPS online and hitting local tackle shops ones in a while to top up on last minute outtings. I always tought of BSP like a magical place where I would cry of hapiness just by looking at the building from the parking lot :oops:
I get the shivers when i walk through the big carved doors.. True story.