Newb question about rods

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Newb question about rods

Post by DaveH »

I know that at some point I'm going to have to get myself a second rod and reel etc etc...but for now, I was wondering what the overall opinion is of the rod that I did buy...

Not knowing much about gear, I picked a name I remember my Dad always liked, so I bought an Ugly Stick....

What do you guys think of those?

As for my Reel, I picked up a Shimano Sidestab 2000...

How were my choices overall? Are they good enough for an all-round fishing experience, or are they specialized for something that I'm not aware of etc etc... Opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Dave
saskie
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by saskie »

Sounds fine to me...good all around choice, especially for a starter kit.
Big Bass Buddy
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Big Bass Buddy »

hey dave welcome to the board. As for your reel, I have one too and love it. it has never given me a problem.

As for rods, i was bring the reel with me to the store and find the rod that feels the best for me. It also depends on what you are fishing for. Over the last couple of years I have been buying more expensive rods as they last longer and are lighter. The ungly stick is a good rod. i have an Ultra light one and have been using it to fish sunfish and the occasional bass. No complaints here.
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Cool, thanks all

Nothing worse than starting out a sport without doing any research, and finding you bought ALL the wrong stuff... and payed too much for it..

Not that I have evern *ahem* done that before... *ahem*
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

DaveH -

Welcome to the FH family.

I know there are plenty of others who have purchased, love and swear by more expensive, elite equipment. But from my point of view, you got yourself a reliable, versatile package at what I'd assume was a modest price. I have Uglys and also have Shimanos and are pleased with both for the kind of fishing I do: seasonal, recreational, for popular gamefish/panfish species.

Get out there and enjoy yourself. That's the best advice, no matter what equipment you are using. :D

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
M.T. Livewell
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by M.T. Livewell »

I have a 5 year old ultra light ugly stick. Never given me a problem and caught me a lot of fish. I have purchased some much more expensive rods that have given me some real trouble.

I can't comment on the reel because I am not familiar with it.

Overall, sounds like a good package ... but does it catch fish? :D

Welcome aboard.

M.T. Livewell
AverageAngler
Participant
Participant

rods

Post by AverageAngler »

Dave,
My grandfather swears by the Ugly Stick! Great rod..hes caught it all on it. The sensitive tip is a great choice!
Cheers'
--AA--
DaveH
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by DaveH »

Well it sure hasn't caught me any fish yet *laughs*

I played hookey today, and (between spats of rain) went to find myself a little fishin hole that I could access from shore, as I don't own a boat.

Came across a really nice little place on the Rideau. It's right near some locks, and called "something" island.. (good memory I have)

Anyway, I only got a couple hits, that I panicked and yanked on too soon *laughs*, but the fish were jumping everywhere around me... some not 3 feet from the dock, and some REALLY big splashes about 20 feet from the dock.

No luck on my part, but I suspect I wasn't feeding out the right bait.

If the weather looks too crappy for Petrie tomorrow morning, we may head there to try again. Looks very promising!
AverageAngler
Participant
Participant

LOCKS?

Post by AverageAngler »

dAVE, Was it Long Island Locks in Manotic? Are you in Ottawa? Just remeber a good fisherman is that way due to may years of experience! Keep at it, never stop learning and you too on day will teach a "newb" your self!
Cheers'
--AA--
DaveH wrote:Well it sure hasn't caught me any fish yet *laughs*

I played hookey today, and (between spats of rain) went to find myself a little fishin hole that I could access from shore, as I don't own a boat.

Came across a really nice little place on the Rideau. It's right near some locks, and called "something" island.. (good memory I have)

Anyway, I only got a couple hits, that I panicked and yanked on too soon *laughs*, but the fish were jumping everywhere around me... some not 3 feet from the dock, and some REALLY big splashes about 20 feet from the dock.

No luck on my part, but I suspect I wasn't feeding out the right bait.

If the weather looks too crappy for Petrie tomorrow morning, we may head there to try again. Looks very promising!