How to hold pike and muskie....

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Muskie_legend
Participant
Participant

How to hold pike and muskie....

Post by Muskie_legend »

Hey guys, I'm not really new to fishing for pike and/or muskie but i have had a lot of trouble trying to hold them properly. I always end up getting my thumb cut really badly when i hold them by the gill plate, so I usually water release them or pick them up with one hand on the tail and one under the belly. Can anybody show me how to hold them properly under the gill plate?
Canadian Wiggler
Participant
Participant

Post by Canadian Wiggler »

For larger fish it would be a good idea to invest in a cradle, which is netting between 2 horizontal pieces of wood that fold sort of like a newspaper.This way you can keep the fish in the watter.For smaller pike and the like, a jaw-lock works very well.It's basically a a spring loaded claw that lets you grab them by the lip like a bass only without sever lacerations. :wink: Berkley and Rapala each make a good one.
For handling them for pictures try just leaning into the frame while they're in the cradle.If you can't do that then place one hand under the belly close to the head and the other on the tail.You should try avoid handling near the gills if at all possible.Pike and musky might look tough but they're a lot more delicate than they seem.Add that to the amount of energy they expend fighting and it's important to the them back into the water ASAP.
Hope that was a helpf.
wolfe
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by wolfe »

It seems there has been a lot of talk about properly handling fish lately.

Just to re-stress the importance of successful catch & release, if that is what you are practicing, please do not utilize the gills of the fish for handling. It's been noted that although a fish handled in this way may swim away seemingly well enough, it's mortality rate is much higher. It's like someone picking us up by our lungs. OUCH! :shock:

W.
Thanks, Dad, for taking me fishing when I was a kid.
banjo
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by banjo »

A good fish handling glove with help alot. I have the rapala fillet glove and this helps to handle the fish securely and therefore alot less than with slippery slimy hands.
Mr.J.
Gold Participant
Gold Participant

Post by Mr.J. »

With larger fish I always prefer to use an old pair of garden gloves. Small fish seem to be ok with the gill plate. With my muskie I find that using a pair of gloves makes for quicker handling which means quicker relase.

In my mind I find that you will remove less of the protective slime that protects the fish as well.

You'll prett much always see me with a large fish using a pair of gloves
and that's my reasoning.

I practice catch and release but this means nothing if the fish has no chnace to live.