Jock River Muskie?

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Jock River Muskie?

Post by MuskieWannabe »

Hey all, I've heard and seen some of the pics of muskie that have come out of the Jock River. I'm just wondering where abouts you were fishing? Was if out by the Rideau or more in town, say Richmond? I've tried casting under the bridges by Richmond and one a little more East of there. Are these adequate spots for muskie or is there a known location that has proven productive? Can you cast from shore or is it better to be out in the middle with a boat? Where can you launch a boat? I live in Kanata and the Jock is about a 5 minute drive, to the Richmond section of it, and I'd love to be able to fish it only I don't know where to really look and what to use and if i would have any luck casting from shore? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again and good fishing this weekend to all!

MW
Todd B.
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Post by Todd B. »

I believe that someone had posted last year that one fella was fishing for eyes with minnows around the Greenbank bridge and was getting routinely bitten off my muskies.
"There wouldn't have been any butt kickings if that stupid death ray had worked."
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

I've heard around Greenbank was where it was a little deeper and may produce a bit more. Any one know of any other spots one should try? I think I may head down tonite with my hip waders and see if I can't find something. Lets hope the rain makes them active!
topraider
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Jock River

Post by topraider »

I remember fishing around twin elms years ago (near Richmond - downstream). This is canoe/cartopper water.

We were fishing with lures. Suddenly my partner "hooks" a big one, it was a muskie close to 40 inches!

Upon closer examination we discovered his hook has gone through the swivel of a leader sticking out of the muskies mouth. Talk about finesse!
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

That's hilarious! I've tried at twin elms before under the bridge, I was really only scouting out the area. I saw a bunch of small small mouth bass, just took a few casts, middle of the day, sunny, so no luck. But i think I may try my luck tonight for a few hours at whatever spots I hear may be productive. Thanks for the suggestion. Anybody know of any other spots?
AverageAngler
Participant
Participant

Muskie

Post by AverageAngler »

Hey M.Wannab,
me and BASSSTALKER fish the jock all the time. The only place we(sorry he) have every caught Muskie was at the Jock River Landing off Prince of Wales..or Hwy 16 south. Take hwy 16 south to Barrhaven and right after Woodroffe rd, the landing will be on the left hand side. At the opening of the river is where he caught it. There is great Walleye fishing there when they wanna bit..the buggers even hit top water there! Also greenbank rd by the "S" turn, there has been talk of people catching Muskie there but I have never seen it there!
Cheers'
--AA--
MuskieWannabe
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by MuskieWannabe »

Awesome! Thanks again for the help!!!!
RJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RJ »

Lots of muskies in the Jock....any of the deeper areas will hold them....nothing huge....but they'll pull yer string!.. :lol:

RJ
Muskie_legend
Participant
Participant

Post by Muskie_legend »

The bend around greenbank is a great spot, I caugt a good one last year using a meduim-large minnow on a float and letting it drift down the rapids. Artificial lures, however, havent caught me anything there yet. Right now the water should be a bit higher because of all the rain so definately give it a try.