Fishing in Bancroft

This is where it's all going on. One can ask for advice or general information or simply chew the fat about fishing tackle, tips, and locations.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Fishing in Bancroft

Post by Walker »

Me and my son are going to Bancroft for long weekend in Aug. to Gemboree and while there I'll try to get some fishing in. Where in Bancroft or very close by,is good for fishing and what species.

Thanks in advance.
Walker
Silver Participant
Silver Participant

Post by Walker »

Come on . With all the fishermen on this site can no one offer any help.
Steve-K
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steve-K »

Hey Walker, Used to live in Bancroft for a couple years. If you wan't to fish fairly close to town head out on 62 I believe towards Barry's Bay just outside town through a little village called Birds Creek you will see signs to turn left to Baptiste Lake. A good all around lake for Bass, Walleye, Muskie. There used to be Marinas around that rent boats and I'm sure there still is.
Also Elephant Lake is connected to Baptiste via a river and has some big fish in it as well but is sometimes alot tougher to have success but on a good day you can catch some lunkers.
I could give you a lot of smaller Bass lakes that are farther away but they would be difficult to find.
Have fun at the Gemboree, I havn't been to that in about 17yrs. Was allways a blast.
Make sure to post how you and your son make out.
Seaweed
Diamond Participant
Diamond Participant

Bancroft Angling

Post by Seaweed »

Hi

Here is a link to the one of the local tackle stores that would probably be able to help you out with some local to Bancroft action.

http://www.discovermyvillage.com/jb/

I know that there are a few great lakes in the general area but they are not what I would term real close to Bancroft. The first lake is Baptiste Lake and it has some great bass action. Quite frankly though I haven't fished it as much because this was always known as the spot to swim if you wanted to meet the mountain girls. :oops: Sorry but we came to swim and meet girls more than fish back when I lived down there.
Steve-K
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by Steve-K »

AAhhh, the Mountain girls. That's why I lived there for a couple of years. Baptiste is about 25min. from town.
ken & Jo
Bronze Participant
Bronze Participant

Post by ken & Jo »

Hey Steve K,

I used to go to Bancroft all of the time as a kid from the time I was a baby til I was about 15 (I'm 33 now). One of my best friends growing up was a guy by the name of Martin Kussman. His family owned a place called Bel-air resort right on Baptiste Lake. Did you happen to know them? Man, sure brings back some great memories.

Ken